My rabbit has a lump/ bubble thing on the base of his ear

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kilithelop

Reaction score
About a week ago I was petting my rabbit and I noticed a lump on the base of his ear. I will take him to the clinic when I can but if anyone knows what this is, or has had similar experiences then please let me know. I want to know if it is something I can lance and clean myself, or if I really should just take him to the vet. There is a poofy and swollen ball under his skin and under the lump but he does not look uncomfortable with it, although rabbits are notorious for hiding illnesses. Help would be greatly appreciated, thanks :(

Unfortunately the picture won't upload.

From what I have read, rabbits don't have wounds like other animals that can easily be lanced. If it's a growth it likely has thick residue that will get infected or worse if lanced.

Is it completely covered in fur? If not, could you post a picture?

It could be an abscess. I have opened and cleaned out a couple of these, and I know OneAcreFarm has removed at least one. Abscesses are not easy to deal with, though.

A curve tip syringe is a huge help cleaning out abscesses. The spraying force is stronger and you can get the tip in there. Guinea pigs have similar complications with getting wounds to drain and I've cleaned plenty of infected wounds with just a curve tip syringe and betadine on guinea pigs over the years. Even an outbreak of CL, Cervical Lymphadenitis caused by an infection of Streptococcus zooepidemicus in the lymph nodes of the neck. Contagious once it starts draining and potentially deadly.

Kilithelop posted in the chat box that it turned out to be a tick and that it has been removed with tweezers. Why he/she posted in the chat box instead of here, I don't know, since it will soon be obscured by other posts there.

I thought y'all should know that the problem has been resolved.

Back