Slow Bunny head movements

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dakotakelm

Reaction score
Theo and Snowflake are now 6 weeks old. Theo is doing great he eats like a cow. But Snowflake she isn't as active and is smaller then Theo and she does a thing with her head she will sit and slowly move her head side to side and slow close her eyes. She hasn't been with me the whole time she does go back home and visits often.

She also bites and her cage so hard she raddles it anything to stop that? Theo doesn't he kisses.
Her eyes are closing in the pictures.

[album]3585[/album][album]3586[/album]

I have an old fizzy lop that does the slow head scan. He also naps so I have to wake him sometimes.

The scanning is quite common with certain lines of rabbits and even more common with red eyed white rabbits. It does not seem to affect them at all, just something to do with depth perception.

There was a recent-ish thread about "shaking head" that was the scanning mentioned above... battery is running low, and it's pretty much bedtime. I will search for it tomorrow if no one else links to it or finds it before then!

It might be scanning, but the other things you described (and the pics!) make me fear that there may be something more serious going on.
Is her spine very prominent and easy to feel? If so, that would be a sign of dehydration, and would need to be addressed ASAP in a kit that age to prevent death.

also---watch for head tilt, circling, or loss of balance or strength in front or back end, these are the dangerous [and more obvious] symptoms , that suggest "EC" could be the problem .

and- "small breeds" don't have the many years of breed selection that "standard breeds" have-- there are a lot more genetic anomalies, "glitches" that have not been worked out of these breeds.

I have a REW Flemish Giant Doe that does the same thing as the videos. Not real fast but very pronounced in her movement. She's never had mites so that's not it. She has done it every since she came out of the nest box and is 1 year old this month. We call her "Crazy Lady" because of the look in her eyes when she is scanning. Slightly bug eyed.

Here's the thread I think heritage is talking about. http://rabbittalk.com/post297237.html?hilit=shaking head#p297237

Yes Zass I can feel her spine a bit my brother-in-law has decided to leave her with me for the week so I can care for her.
How can I get her to drink more water?
Would being with Theo help her drink I know yesterday I watched both drink together. <br /><br /> __________ Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:38 am __________ <br /><br /> Snowflake has stopped slowly closing her eyes and seems to have perked up a bit she was running and playing with her brother this morning. :)

Back