Mixed breed question

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fall mom

Reaction score
I am just curious what others have mixed and ended up with. I intend to use the fur after butcher hopefully (I hear new to tanning doesn't always go so well the first few trys) eventually I'd like some color and variations in pattern to my fur but not at the cost of my meat production. I don't want a bunch of little rabbits with nice fur I want meat but I would like to use the whole animal. The man of the house thinks the flemish giants are awesome so I have considered a flemish but I am not sure what I'd get for meat I don't want to end up having to feed my rabbits more food for a longer peroid of time to get the same amount of meat as the NZ or cali. (I am not sure I asked this clearly). I'd really like to see some photos of things others have mixed if anyone wants to share them and info about what resulted from the mix as far as feeding and meeting butcher weight and fur quality. Thank you.

Flemish are known for being a little bony and they do grow slower, even mixed with other breeds they are slow growers, but if that's fine with you go for it! you can add just about any larger rabbit to your herd for color. Palomino have better shoulders than NZ, Chinchillas have a good body and color, or you can keep to the NZ and get reds or broken patterns. You can also add just a large mix breed buck to your herd they don't really have to be a certain breed. All my meat rabbits are mutts.

If I did get a larger breed like a flemish I would want a larger doe to breed with a smaller buck and not a large buck with a small doe right? Or does itnnot matter so much with rabbits? If I made bone broth would flemish them be better for that purpose or the same as any other breed?

A smaller buck to a larger doe is safer

Rabbit breeders want their animals to be as meaty as possible when their growth curve starts to level out (around 10 weeks old ) to save on feeding costs and free up cages for more grow outs - Flemish, and some other breeds, will be boney at 10 weeks and need more time to grow out to get a good dressing ratio - they might be 60% bone to 40% meat instead of 45:55 :(

Their skeletons will be larger so if you want to make bone broth I guess they would be a good choice but most people don't raise rabbits for their bones ;)

Back