Is this buck too big for my doe?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittleFluffyBunnies

Reaction score
My sister has a fluffy small breed buck I was thinking of breeding to my small breed doe. He is a bit bigger so i am not sure if it would cause a problem. I know it's not a huge size difference but since my doe is quite small I just want to make sure. I don't have their weights because I have no way to weigh them, but I am guessing my doe is in the 2-3 pound range, and the buck feels a lot heavier. However, I may be overthinking this.

If he is fine I would be interested in using him to see what he is carrying. I only have smoke pearl right now, and I think the buck might carry tort because his father was tort, I didn't see the mother. Also his brother was either a broken black or a strange vienna marked that resembles a broken. So I am curious to see what might pop up. But I am fine if he is too big. I don't want ANY extra risk to my doe, I would rather use my other buck than risk her.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender(21).jpg
    FullSizeRender(21).jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 461
  • FullSizeRender(22).jpg
    FullSizeRender(22).jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 461
One of our NZW does who is around 9 lbs just kindled 10 healthy kits. She was bred with a 12 lb NZW buck, and there is a very noticeable difference in size when they are placed together. Also, this 9 lb does kits were no different in size than when she was bred with a 9 lb buck. I do not think yours will pose a problem.

I believe complications exist when say you take a NZW doe and breed it with a flemish giant buck. Two different varieties and size ranges and the doe being the smaller of the pair.

Back