Doe with "situational" depression

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeannie

Reaction score
Okay ~ I hope I can make sense....

I have a 16x16 pen for my does ~ mostly lionheads, and 3 NZ's.
All good there. Plenty of holes, quite a few buried storage bins with tubes going above ground, and toys to throw around (wiffle balls the favorite).

History:
I have a red NZ doe. Over the winter (in a 4x4 cage) she got REALLY fat.
In February ~ put her in the doe pen (mentioned above).
Bunny 500's ... all day. She was having a blast.
Lost all the weight, but has skin rolls (all my fault) ~ I can live with that, now that she is exercising, having fun and lost all her excess weight.

Problem:
I bred her 4 days ago and put her back into a 4x4 cage. She won't eat, or drink, OR even move. She is so pissed (with her butt to me when I came around) that I really felt like she was telling me "If you don't let me back out, let me die here".
This has been going on for days now.
It's rabbit emotional blackmail !! .... and tomorrow, I think she'll win... not a good way to set behavioral goals is it?...
*sigh* .... I don't want her to pass away for something like this.

So .... do I put her back with the other does? Let her dig her tunnels? And pull her days before she's due?
That, to me is cruel.
BUT... I can't leave her where she is.... she's threatening me with her killing herself...

Opinions? Please!

Not eating or drinking for 4 days is definitely life threatening to a rabbit. If she's stopped pooping there is even greater risk.
With gi stasis involved she could have a hard time restoring gut motility even if her depression lifts.

I strongly suggest you treat her like any other rabbits who's refused feed for several days.
Offer a variety of safe greens, oats or other treats in order to tempt her appetite. Is she dehydrated? Feeling her spine is the best way to discern this. The appearance of sudden and drastic weight loss is usually dehydration. The spine will be very easy to feel.
A little juice in the water (mine like apple cider) or a homemade or over the counter electrolyte solution can help rehydrate a dehydrated bun.

Even if you put her back with the others now, you might have to resort to emergency measures like force feeding to get things moving again, and there would be some added risk of not knowing how much she's eating, or the condition of her feces. If it's what you feel it could save her life, it would certainly be worth those drawbacks.

Apparently, "my training" has gone according to her plans.
Put her back in the large pen ~ and vwaa-laa .... bunny 500's and smug looks in my direction *sigh*

Rabbits and their personalities ~~~ I swear....
Having over 30 rabbits, I know all their individual quirks ~ but she takes the cake on being both unbearably loving (which is way she's still here, and not in the freezer) and independent. Plus, she's a great mama.

I'll just keep a close eye on her around her due date. Might just have to bring her inside and let her have her freedom where I can watch her 24/7 that last week.

She's back to her original self, now that's she running and playing.... silly girl

Back