Quick question: Will 12" be tall enough for a growout cage?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MidwestMatthew

Reaction score
As the subject says: Will our fryers be cramped in a 12" tall cage? (Cages are planned to have 6 square feet of floor space.)

Additional info:

We're getting our rabbits later this month or early next. Two New Zealands and one Angora-something-or-other that the lifelong rabbit breeder we're buying from says makes a good cross with the New Zealands. We will also likely add a Rex in the near future.

So, anyway, I'm trying to figure out our setup and am finding that vertical space is at a premium. I don't want to cramp our rabbits, but surely the growout cages don't have to be as tall as the adult cages, right?

Will 12 inches do it, or is that not fair to the rabbits?

With only 12 inches, a 4-5 lb rabbit would not be able to hop or binky. I was given a few that height, and figured I could use them only for fryers. I honestly couldn't stand to put my own in them. Ended up tearing them apart to make one big pen.

How about 18 inches?

Our adult cages are 24 inches tall and I just can't see taking that much space for the smaller ones unless necessary.

18" is a good height. I raise Rex, which average 8-10lbs, and the adults do fine in them. Most large scale breeders use 18" cages for commercial breeds, so if you haven't built them yet you may want to build them all that height.

18" it is. Our adults will be in 24" but that seemed excessive for rabbits half their size. Thanks for the input!

Depending on width, you can add a shelf to the 24" tall pens.

My doe pens are 48" x 24" x 24" high - with a 12" wide shelf on one end 12" off the floor. Adds square footage and lets the doe get away from kits as they grow and begin to pester her.

I don't have a shelf in my buck pens but you'll often see them stretching out and taking up the full 24".

Latest posts

Back