now I'm a guinea pig mom

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akane

Reaction score
Always something when you are breeding animals. My good producing sow had a litter of 4 with 3 large pups but she abandoned them temporarily for some reason. I found them all crinkly from drying dirty and had to cut the placenta off 2. I put her, the pups, and a sow due any day now into the hospital cage. The pregnant sow cleaned them up and kept them warm until their mother decided to start feeding them. By then it was too late. The runt was getting shoved out anyway so it goes to the center of the cage and I hear "wheeky, wheeky, wheeky". I pick it up and it chortles at me like it would an adult showing it attention. I heat up the little bit of formula I mixed up and it sucks down .6-.8 cc before losing interest. It's eating hay already but every few hours "wheeky, wheeky, wheeky". :lol:

Hurry up and feed me

The litter shortly after I found them

I keep a can of powdered goat milk around. I usually only feed them 3, maybe 4, times in 24hrs for 1-3days as a supplement while trying to get them on to softened pellets and hay. Just a little extra concentrated energy and hydration to keep them going depending on if they are runt, premature, or normal but fully abandoned. I haven't had any that relied 100% on formula or goat milk.

They don't drink much at a time. You won't notice much of a mammary gland on a guinea pig. It's also very watery milk with few fats. The opposite of rabbits. They need a lot less in other animal milk unlike rabbits that you may have to give extra feedings over what they would take from their dam in order to get an equal amount of nutrition in them.

Latest posts

Back