Perfecty cooked rabbit kicker?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karebru

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry if this doesn't belong here. I considered "Meat Rabbits" and "Rabbit Recipes," couldn't make up my mind, and decided to post it here.
I'm on a quest to achieve the perfectly cooked rabbit hind-quarter. I've gotten pretty good with chicken breasts over the years. I'm guessing that as far as cooking methods go, a skinless chicken breast is as close as your going to get to a rabbit kicker. With chicken, (and seafood, etc.) I find that perfectly cooked, means barely (but thoroughly) cooked.
So how do I achieve that with rabbit?
Anything is "eatable" if you "cook it till it falls off the bone". And there's nothing wrong those recipes, but I'm talking about domestically raised rabbit. Not some old possum, armadillo, or tree-rat. There's gourmet potential here! :roll:
Is there a temperature to shoot for? Are there dangers in not quite getting it there?
I understand that rabbit is very lean. It seems to cook a little faster than chicken. Is that why?
I'm sure RT is full of better cooks then myself. What's the secret for perfectly cooked rabbit?

I tried something a couple weeks ago that turned out delicious. I grilled rabbit, wrapped in bacon. I used no other seasonings or marinade. Just bacon. It turned out wonderful. And I did use a meat thermometer. It did cook a little quicker than I expected. I was looking for 165°, but left it on a bit long while I was searching for my thermometer and it got to 190°. But, with the bacon on it, it didn't dry out or get burned at all.

I like my homegrown meat almost cooked, the bacteria we are worried about are on the outside of the meat, not inside. so- cooking is mostly a mater of preference, - the less cooking I do the better the flavor, for rabbit, I like the inside temp between 145, and 160. but-- that is just me, -- [I also like my beef steak, just seared on the outside] .. and of course-- this is JMHO...

When I'm baking rabbit vs chicken I generally decrease cooking temperature and also the cook time. Like if the recipe calls for 400 degree oven I'll cook at 350. The cooking time reduction will vary with the recipe but I try to be careful not to cover cook.

alforddm":18rgihs8 said:
When I'm baking rabbit vs chicken I generally decrease cooking temperature and also the cook time. Like if the recipe calls for 400 degree oven I'll cook at 350. The cooking time reduction will vary with the recipe but I try to be careful not to cover cook.

Thanks, y'all. Sounds like cooking it "gently" is the key. ;)

karebru":3q1ry8rk said:
alforddm":3q1ry8rk said:

Thanks, y'all. Sounds like cooking it "gently" is the key. ;)

Over cook rofl not "cover" cook.

Back