KB Tatts

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigfoot_158

Reaction score
Just got my KB Tattoo pen yesterday. I am going to practice on banana's.

1 Will the banana dull or hurt the needle?
2 How often do you change the needle? Directions saids every 10 rabbits.

Banana shouldn't harm a needle, but it could grow bacteria after being exposed to sugary substances. I never have to tattoo 10 rabbits at once, so I usually just change needles between sessions to avoid bacterial contamination.

Ok thanks Zass.

Should the needle be sterilize between rabbits? Seems to me it should be for contamination purposes.

Zass":k39ylw0v said:
Banana shouldn't harm a needle, but it could grow bacteria after being exposed to sugary substances. I never have to tattoo 10 rabbits at once, so I usually just change needles between sessions to avoid bacterial contamination.

Will alcohol keep that from happening or should I boil the needle?

I run my needle in a cup of rubbing alcohol between uses (hold tip in it and turn it on so the alcohol is drawn up like the ink), when I am done I release the needle and completely submerge in the alcohol and then gently clean it with a clean brand new toothbrush used only for this purpose (cotton balls leave fiber on the needles). I think the "After 10" is mostly because the needle may become dull at that point and get poor penetration into the skin. I practiced on meat mutts/pet stock/mainly on rabbits about to be butchered anyway before doing my show rabbits. I love my pen so much :)

Just be wary if your rabbit's ear is bleeding afterwards. I haven't had that happen yet, but I would put a lil something extra afterwards (like blu kote or neosporin) and watch it if it did

I use emu oil sticks (this exact brand and label actually) instead of petroleum jelly when doing my ear tatts, I feel like it helps the healing along a bit more and protects the area for a bit longer. It also feels smooth putting it on without the gooey factor I find with the petro (I manage to get that stuff all over the place every time).

Back