Power of a dog

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coyotejoe

Reaction score
“The Power of a Dog”

There is sorrow enough in the natural way
From men and women to fill our day;
But when we are certain of sorrow in store,
Why do we always arrange for more?
Brothers and sisters I bid you beware
Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.

Buy a pup and your money will buy
Love unflinching that cannot lie–
Perfect passion and worship fed
By a kick in the ribs or a pat on the head.
Nevertheless it is hardly fair
To risk your heart for a dog to tear.

When the fourteen years that nature permits
Are closing in asthma or tumors or fits
And the vet’s unspoken prescription runs
To lethal chambers, or loaded guns.
Then you will find–its your own affair
But–you’ve given your heart to a dog to tear.

When the body that lived at your single will
When the whimper of welcome is stilled (how still!)
When the spirit that answered your every mood
Is gone–wherever it goes–for good,
You still discover how much you care
And will give your heart to a dog to tear.

We’ve sorrow enough in the natural way
When it comes to burying Christian clay.
Our loves are not given, but only lent,
At compound interest of cent per cent.
Though it is not always the case, I believe,
That the longer we’ve kept ’em the more do we grieve;
For when debts are payable, right or wrong,
A short time loan is as bad as a long–
So why in Heaven (before we are there)
Should we give our hearts to a dog to tear?

Poem by Rudyard Kipling

Lupin, my Border Collie was diagnosed with lymphoma. She is an on meds to ease her suffering but I haven't found any for myself.

Attachments

• Lupin in the lupines.png
    Lupin in the lupines.png
    608.8 KB · Views: 1,952
I'm so sorry, Joe. :cry: I have gotten much joy from seeing the pictures you have posted with her- she is such a gorgeous dog, and obviously is always near you.

One of our Great Danes, Klaus, died of lymphoma. When he was diagnosed, our vet told us "please don't wait too long," but you know how that goes... they have a bad day, but then seem happy and have a good appetite the next... but when we finally brought him in, he had lost so much weight that the good doctor looked at us sadly and said "You waited too long." :(

On a brighter note, my very first dog "Frosty the Wonder Dog" also had cancer- hers was mammary- and the vet I worked for at the time looked into treatment for me. The chemo drug would have cost HIM $600 a dose (over 25 years ago!), had to be given monthly, and he gave her less than six months to live. Of course I could not afford that, so I took her to a Holistic vet to see if anything else could be done.

He put her on a homemade fresh cooked diet, high doses of vitamin C, shark cartilage capsules, and I can't remember what else if anything... but she lived for almost three more years once on that protocol! You might want to search for a holistic practitioner in your area in the hope of gaining just a bit more time with your precious girl.

In the meantime, enjoy the time you have left with her. She is very special.

What a beauty she is. I am sorry you are facing this.

*hugs* and a doggy treat for Lupin.

So sorry for your news, I hope the suffering isn't long and she is comfortable, and you find some peace....

As for now she is on a streroid med and feeling fine and frisky. She has "indoor balls" and "outdoor balls" as well as her frisby and wants to play indoors or out. Wherever Gwen or I go she is there, I haven't seen her so active in quite some time. She has normally been the number two dog, second to Strider, the Shorthair/Brittany but now we are making her feel special in her final weeks.

I am so sorry you have to go through this. It is so horrible when our furry friends leave us. Spend every moment possible with sweet Lupin, and always remember her life, it's memories of fun times, sad times, and all that you did together. I will think of you both as you go through this. She is a very special dog.

Thank you, Joe for posting that beautiful poem. I'm so sorry for your coming loss. I understand the pain and anticipation. After battling cushings disease for a year with one of our beagles, we ended up loosing her to lymphoma last summer. Just yesterday, her sister was diagnosed with disk disease. She's drugged up and extremely miserable right now. I have slept with her curled up under my arm for over ten years. I don't know what's going to happen.

We know the pain will come one day, yet we go out and set ourselves up for it again and again, because they are worth it. :dogkiss:
Make your remaining time together special. Pay attention and she will let you know when it's time. God bless.

Back