Nest Boxes

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoonSpiritMom

Reaction score
I don't have any.. trying hard to make some before my first 2 does kindle (March 31st-April 4th... I'm giving leeway of a day or so in each direction) oh my gosh I'm so antsy! My does don't look to fat though.... Ugh.. i hate the waiting game!

I gotta make nest boxes... how wide should they be?

My does are commercial meat rabbits.

NZ/Flem and Cali/Flem.
The Cali/Flem is 2 years old.. she's pretty big. amazing rabbit!

My doors are 1.5 ft wide.. so if i make the next box about half that size.. that should be good right?

I gotta get my butt in gear here! I'm running our of time! <br /><br /> __________ Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:45 pm __________ <br /><br /> So incredibly frustrating to discuss building nest boxes with my husband. He thinks that the boxes don't need bottoms on them becuase the floor of our cages are already wood. I tried explaining that if the doe hops out and takes the box with her, the movement could crush a kit between the sides and the floor of our cages. He says that he'd just nail the nest boxes to the side of the cage so she doesn't do that.... what i don't get is... its the same amount of WORK! Oh my gosh I'm so annoyed. Just make the damn nest box like it should be made.... lets go with what works ok buddy?

Mine are something like 14" wide 14" tall 16" long. Mine are a actual box with a 5" x 5.5" hole. My rabbits a mostly NZ boxes mounted outside of My cages. Hope this helps. Better get to work :lol:

Attachments

• IMG_20150507_112227_083~3~2.jpg
    IMG_20150507_112227_083~3~2.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 1,211
My New Zealands' boxes are 18" long by 11" wide. They taper from a height of 11" in the back to 4" in the front. Their bottom is made of scrap wire so urine can drain and so I can pull the box out easily to check the kits.

Marinea":19bkk3ki said:
My New Zealands' boxes are 18" long by 11" wide. They taper from a height of 11" in the back to 4" in the front. Their bottom is made of scrap wire so urine can drain and so I can pull the box out easily to check the kits.

I second that box design. You do want your boxes to be removable even if you only occasionally remove them between litters. I think the wire bottom is a good idea also.

It's a major commitment to cut your bottom wire but if you have a few cages with good bottom wire that you don't mind dedicating for does to kindle, this works great! I wrapped the outside of the drop nest boxes with cardboard to reduce the chill. The does have all adapted to this box better than I expected. So far, it's the best design I've ever used. The does really seem to like it. Supposedly, it mimics a rabbits natural instinct to nest "in the ground". None of the does used it for a resting area, nor a bathroom prior to kindling. It measures 16" X 10" X 8"(deep).
2110.jpg

Back