How?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ladysown

Staff member
Reaction score
Doe is black. She's out of a black doe who only ever gave me black kits regardless of what she was bred to. Her dad a BEW who threw 80% black and 19% castor kits and one blue kit.

Buck is tri-colour. Out of tricolour buck and entire family is tricolour. Mom is booted red out of tricolour buck and castor doe. But otherwise very much a red family.

HOW do they throw what I think is broken blue?

I expected black kits or broken blacks.

The litter (at 12 hours old) is looking like three broken blacks and one broken blue. I don't get it. Mind...I might be wrong and it'll be a broken castor or something...but right now...looks like a broken blue. Is it even possible?

IF it is a broken blue, which as you know is really hard to say right now, I don't see why it wouldn't be possible. As long as both parents carried the dilute gene (Dd), this little one recieved a "d" from both and is dd, with B-, which would make him/her blue.

Blue is just a dilute of the black - so going back down the road in your blacks, there is dilute somewhere in him, and they got a gene from each parent. IF thats what the colour is.

I read up on what to breed tri's too - and you can breed them to broken reds with some success.

To get a blue kit both must be carrying dilute, it can hide for generations, just like the dreaded REW gene. Fawns, Reds, and Oranges are all technically the same color, they are castor rabbits with the non-extension gene. Whats different is the amount of rufus thats expressed. Reds can be used in a Tri-program and often are. Remember that harlequin is dominant over non extension, so breeding a tri to a red will give you tri's or harlequins.

Latest posts

Back