How long in between breeding?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittleFluffyBunnies

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

So tomorrow I am officially weaning my three kits from my first litter(I had 6 but I sadly lost 3 :cry: ). They were born on the 3rd of March.

I am trying to plan the rest of my year carefully. I only want two litters per doe a year, three at max. I am keeping a doe from this litter. I will breed her in September maybe. I am wondering how long to rest my only adult doe before breeding again? I want to give her one more litter this year, but I don't have enough space at the moment for two litters at once, so her litter would have to be sold before October. I was thinking about breeding her again in the beginning of June, but now I am considering the middle of May. Or I will have to be very patient and breed her in July. The thing is, the coldest months of the year are June and July(Seasons are switched in SA, we have the opposite of USA seasons). Although, only a few nights are very cold, as in just under 40 degrees F, but it never snows. On the other hand, the hottest months are from December to February, and then it is way too hot to breed, it gets to 90 degrees F. So I was thinking it is better to breed in winter and take a summer break then vice versa. I can even bring in the litter when it is too cold. But anyways, back to the point, how long should I rest my doe? A month, a month and a half, or longer? And this is resting her from selling the litter at 6 weeks(I know it's a bit young but I have considered many factors in my desicion). Right now her milk is pretty much gone, but she is quite skinny. I am almost free feeding her, during the day I make sure she always has pellets and hay. I am giving her a night feed of pellets mixed with a small amount of oats, and fruits or veggies. What else can I feed to build her up? She also goes out to graze for an hour a day. I sadly can't get BOSS, otherwise I would give her those.

Sounds like you're thinking about all the variables about temperature and cage space. In terms of time I don't think anyone would think this was too early to rebreed your doe. But the condition of the doe is more important than the number of weeks since kindling last. I wouldn't rebreed a doe that seemed thin to me. Since you're on the other side of the world from me and don't have access to BOSS, I don't know what specific feed to suggest but there must be things where you are that people feed to improve condition. And is it possible she has some sort of parasite problem that could account for her thinness? Again I tend to feed things that help with those problems and don't know what you have access to. Finally, is this her first litter? If not, how long did it take her to regain good condition before?

Hope the weanlings thrive and the doe gains some weight for you once they're moved out :)

Thanks!

This is her first litter. I don't think she has parasites but I am looking into feeding garlic. She had been in great condition before breeding, and I think she is mostly just thin from the strain of the litter. Thanks so much for the input! Once she gets back into condition, I will look into her next litter.

I am very excited because I thought I would have trouble finding homes for pet rabbits, but I have had so many people wanting some!!!! I already have homes lined up for the other two and people excited for my future litters!!!!

Back