Safe to Breed?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ButtonsPalace

Reaction score
I have a doe with kits that are about 3 weeks old right now and have been eating pellets. I was wondering if it's safe to breed her and leave her kits for another week and then remove them at 4 weeks?

I don't wanna be to rough on them but I figured since they were weaned for the most part already it don't matter. Mom is already shoving them away.. So I figured she has weaned or is in the process of doing so

I have always weaned at 4wks and sometimes left one doe kit on for a few more days just because. but mom has always weaned them by that time.

however you need to know what you are going to do with the babies. If you are selling, what you will do with them if they don't sell,... etc. Just a reminder. rabbits add up quickly.

There is a difference in mom weaning the litter and mom being in shape to be bred again. Personally unless you are really going for something specific and the doe is still in really great shape, there isn't any harm in waiting a bit and giving mom a break. you want to be sure that the doe is in good condition before breeding.

If the doe is in good shape and all the kits are growing well and eating you can do that just fine. I've run some colonies and big cages with trios where the doe gets bred back when she gives birth. The kits do fine with a 4 week weaning schedule. I just keep them together and make sure they are eating well for another 4 weeks before selling them or sorting them to my own pens and cages. If you aren't doing colony sometimes if you've got a laid back buck and enough space you can put them in with him to keep company and they'll continue to copy the adult's behavior.

^ That. It's not about the kits, it's about the doe. Is she thin? Can you feel spiny bumps along her back? Make sure she's in good condition before breeding her again.

Don't be too quick to judge if mom isn't feeding or not. I've had a doe that didn't like to feed when I was around, but I'd come back to find full tummies. Imo the EARLIEST kits should be weaned is 5 weeks, depending on the breed. I wean mine at 6-7 weeks but don't sell them until 8 weeks. You may want to check your state laws about it...I know where I live it is illegal to sell a certain amount of kits and young poultry under 8 weeks.

Well mom was in decent shape when I got her and I free feed them all because I have big rabbits and they tend to run skinny when I go by the recommended amounts feed but I don't like doing that cause I feel like they know how much is enough not me... Plus they don't get fat they stay a good size. I have two pregnant does and I keep having to remind myself they've both had biggish litters (5+ I consider big) (One had 6 with 5 surviving(One stopped growing I think I might be able to find pics if ya'll would like to see) (Other doe's first litter was 9 with 5 surviving(Two passed in growout) She looks pretty good to me I mean all her fur has grown back except a few patchy spots that make me wanna wait but she's of pretty good weight I'd say I don't feel any bumpy boney anything *Which I don't remember feeling on any of my does after babies *Maybe my rabbits are fat *I have no idea the age of these kits btw. I got them from a man who said 2-3 weeks and I looked at him and said that makes a BIG difference.* Since there is only three we've decided to keep them *Well we kinda decided as soon as I came home and brought 3 little balls of fluff in the house in my hoodie pocket *I wear a men's hoodie so it has pretty huge pockets*I feel women jackets are too small and fitted. If I'm wearing a hoodie it's to keep warm not show off.* I think I covered all the questions Oh wait someone asked where I'm going to keep them well I currently have two larger cages available and one smaller.. I plan to put two of the kits in there at about 5-6 weeks probably and leave one with mum* My does seem to get separation anxiety they seem much happier when they have another doe in the cage* I believe all three are girls but if they aren't it's ok because we have a third cage that just needs the legs put on it that can house two rabbits. <br /><br /> -- Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:27 pm -- <br /><br /> I actually felt of her and she is pretty boney so I am most definitely going to let her put some weight on.. I was watching a guy on youtube the other day I can't remember his name but he says something like "I breed my rabbits 21 days into their pregnancy and keep them constantly pregnant, It keeps them at a healthy weight even though the kits are smaller" I was like oh my gosh! That's ridiculous! How could someone be so cruel The poor rabbits have no break whatsoever

Many commercial meat breeders will keep a very strict breed back time. if the rabbits are good rabbits bred for that then it isn't cruel. on the other hand a lot of rabbits cant handle a fast breed back schedule like that and forcing them into that would be cruel.

However if he is breeding at 21 days pregnant than he wont be getting litter from that. the doe is already pregnant and double pregnancy is uncommon to say the least... plus the doe would birth and very most likely birth the full term kits plus the barely gestated kits. So that doesn't make any sense at all.

If you want to see some good rabbits and good info and tips try "JRSKICK1" channel on youtube. he does breed for meat, so read the video info before watching all the videos if you don't want to see that kind of thing. but he has a lot of good info and really nice rabbits.

I've watched a rabbit getting killed and skinned on a few different channels it don't seem to bother me although I don't think I could do it myself. I have two big does that could probably do it but I wouldn't want to try to do that. Maybe I misunderstood and he breeds 21 days after but I'm pretty sure he said 21 days in on does that consistently birth at 28 days I think. But I could be wrong.

You're breeding for pet sales, right? You might want to see how these sell first. Around here, I see a huge market in the spring, then it falls off to almost nothing. If you breed now, you're talking about kits for sale in July.

Want to share what you're planning to run as an ad? I am asking because I can't see anything labeled "pet/meat" going well with the animal rights extremists out there these days. Trying to help you avoid problems before they occur.

Ohhhhh... Great point! I should set up two separate ads... Both would be under same email and phone but it would be two separate ads so people wouldn't know it was same person unless they checked. Which is on them lol.. I'm not sure how I might run my ad yet.. I still need to plan that XP

You're going to be selling them live, right? Not already processed? If so, maybe one ad mentioning the breed, age, size and some pics. Let folks decide on their own what they want to do with them. Keeps you under the ARA radar. Just a thought.

ARA? But yeah I will do that just list them as rabbits for sale... Add the weight and such so people who want to eat them will know... I see... So what would a recommended price be? For like meat and for pet rabbits? I bought some from a guy once for i think $15 so I was thinking about doing $10 I felt like that was pretty reasonable...

Personally I don't go under $20 for a meeting with someone cause less than that isn't worth my time. For bottom prices anymore I will sell 1 or 2 cavy or rabbit for $20 depending on the individuals. Price goes up for a variety of reasons. I'd rather butcher them for my dogs than deal with someone just for $10. I don't bring people to my place because of the ARA so I have to take the time to setup somewhere to meet and transport animals even if it's 5mins from my house.

ARA- animal rights activists. People who have exceedingly high standards of care for animals and feel so strongly they will band together and cause trouble over the stupidest things. At worst they have gotten peoples' entire rabbit barn seized and started neutering the rabbits for rehoming before the person could do anything to stop them. At best they annoy you while trashing your name around the neighborhood and internet until they find someone they think is worse.

Oh my god that's just ridiculous. Why do people have to be so annoying? Like for real?? I keep my rabbits clean and happy and healthy I don't plan on getting to big of a thing going but eventually I do want about 20 does and 4-6 bucks but that'll be at least a year or two... Is $20 not a bit to steep for where I'm at? I mean I live out in the middle of nowhere off a road hardly anyone in my county even knows about *NONE of my friends know where I live. They know my address but couldn't get to my house.* So meeting out somewhere for rabbits is always going to be a definite because I don't like strangers just coming to my house. I don't need strangers coming to my house. So I've seen mixed breeds go on local yard sale posts for like $30 and up and they SELL SO FAST! I'm just kinda weird about like *Overpricing* I suppose like I don't wanna make them too expensive or too cheap?... Maybe $20-$40 which is the range is a good place to be..

Latest posts

Back