Can't find 14g wire

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ipoGSD

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
I've called all over and the best I can find is 16g wire. All the 14g wire is way too big 2" X 4".

Where can I find 14g 1/2 X 1 wire?

I'm assuming the 16g wire would be fine for the sides/tops of the cages but will 16g wire work for the bottom of the cages? The heaviest rabbit I have is my doe, she weighs 10 1/2 lbs.

I don't want I really order it unless I can have it shipped to a store with free shipping (home depot, lowes, agway, tractor supply, ace) but some of their websites are hard for me to search on my phone. Any advice? <br /><br /> -- Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:24 am -- <br /><br /> I can find 1 X 2" 14g but what about the bottom?

In my experience about the only place you can get the 1x1/2 14 guage is to order it.

You may check with your local hardware store. Mine said they could get the riverdale wire (the good stuff) but it was a special order outside their normal supply chain and I would have to pay freight. They were busy when I was there so I didn't' get an exact quote.

If you have a business address or have a friend with one it's usually cheaper to ship to a business address. <br /><br /> -- Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:37 am -- <br /><br /> If you have rabbit shows in your area you can sometimes get suppliers to bring it to the show.

How much is it to ship to a business address? My father owns a business so I can have it shipped there.

How long would a 16g bottom last? My hutch is going to have a roof over it sheltering the wire a little bit. I could also put a piece of metal as supports under the screen..

I didn't realize it would be so hard to find cage wire lol

If you don't want to pay shipping, your best bet is to order it for pickup at a show near you. Simply enter your state on the site below:

can-t-find-14g-wire-t29777.html

If there is not a show catalog, contact the show secretary and ask if a cage vendor will be attending.

MamaSheepdog":3m6o3tt9 said:
If you don't want to pay shipping, your best bet is to order it for pickup at a show near you. Simply enter your state on the site below:

If there is not a show catalog, contact the show secretary and ask if a cage vendor will be attending.

The link just send me back to this post, so its no good.

bigfoot_158":3ppuz7i8 said:
MamaSheepdog wrote:

The link just send me back to this post, so its no good.

Ooops. Copied the wrong link. :oops:

https://www.arba.net/showsSearch.php#showsearch

I just checked the link, ty :) Unfortunately I'd prefer not to wait that long.

Seriously how bad is 16g for a rabbit cage?
I even called klubertanz, the price was pretty up there and shipping was 57 on top of that. And the man said 2.5 weeks until it's shipped.

There has to be a place locally that can order it for me. I'll keep calling around I guess.. This is nuts, never knew it was so hard to find the right stuff to build cages

ipoGSD":3i8p5eiz said:
There has to be a place locally that can order it for me. I'll keep calling around I guess.. This is nuts, never knew it was so hard to find the right stuff to build cages

I wouldn't bother... I can pretty much guarantee that any wire ordered through a hardware or feed store is going to be of very poor quality.

Try Craigslist. Eastern Connecticut:

https://newlondon.craigslist.org/search ... e&sort=rel

Great deal in Roscoe, NY:

https://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/grd/5494900674.html

And another in Walton, NY:

https://catskills.craigslist.org/grd/5505127516.html

As for your question regarding gauge- my original cages are from BASS and have 16g GBW floor wire. They have held up fine, and the wire still crowns up when the rabbits are not on it. However- I use J-clips every 2" and my rabbits are Rex, which are 8-10lbs on average. Also, my cages are not huge- 24" x 30" for does, and 24" x 24" for bucks. Still, the doe cages bear a lot of weight when there is a growing litter in with the does.

GAW is gorgeous stuff- it makes the gauge of the wire even thicker- and in humid environments it protects against rust because the welds are completely covered.

Hi MSD, I really appreciate you helping me with ideas/suggestions :)

You said your rabbits are between 8-10 lbs. My 2 males are both mini rex's. Weighing a smidge over 4lb each.

My 2 females are around 10ish lbs. My biggest is about 10.5 and the smaller female is close to 9lbs.

Do you think if I use the 16g it will get me buy for now? Then maybe further down the road if I see an issue I can then order better stuff for the bottom? I didn't foresee this task being so costly at start up lol. I only need 3 cages for now. One of the males is my daughter's and I don't think she will want him outside.

If I can guy buy with using 16g I might be able to have them done by this weekend. If not, then we're looking at another month or so to save up more money. And for us its hard to save.

Last month alone we had 2 vet emergencies. My gsd hurt my min pins leg. Possibly broke it. Weren't not for sure because an xray would have been 300 more and even if it was broken the spot it was hurting her they wouldn't have casted it which is why we didn't allow them to do an xray. Then my gsd had an issue with his toe. Was swollen, turns out it was an interdigital cyst. So yeah money always finds a way out of our hands lol

As for the CL posts, I've actually seen many of those cages already. Problem is most are pretty far away and I bet most would have no idea what the bottom wires gage is anyway.

I think I'll just use the 16g and hope for the best. I can always add some support via untreated 2x4s or some metal. My father has lots of stuff laying around.

16g is fine for the sides and tops right? My only worry would be the bottoms. And hopefully by then I'll have the money to order a small amount to redo the bottoms..sound like this wold work?

16g has worked well for me, just don't skimp on the J-clips. The mini-Rex definitely don't have enough weight to be an issue with causing the floors to sag.

As far as I know, the majority of my cages are 16g on walls and top, and most are GBW. GAW would be even sturdier, but mine are still in good condition after 5 years of use.

I don't know what type of humidity you have there, but we live in a very arid region so rusting at the welds isn't an issue for us. In a moist climate the GAW is your best choice if you want cages that will last.

I bought the 16 GBW wire some from tractor supply and some from our local hardware store. 1.5 yrs later I have rust on the wires. It's still in very usable condition but it's something I will have to keep an eye on. Especially the corners where they pee. When I do have to redo the cage floors I'm going back with the 14 GAW even if I have to pay shipping for it.

I found some cages with the 14 GAW wires and they are sooo much better There is hardly any comparison.

So it just depends on what your comfortable with.

Could paint be an option against rust? I have many rusty cages. Once they start rusting they'll eventually rust through.

SuburbanHomesteader":13f64yx3 said:
MamaSheepdog":13f64yx3 said:
Ooops. Copied the wrong link. :oops:

Thought maybe it was an "April Fool's" joke!

Only if I was the "April Fool!" :lol:

a7736100":13f64yx3 said:
Could paint be an option against rust? I have many rusty cages. Once they start rusting they'll eventually rust through.

Yes. Many people will knock as much rust off as possible (I personally have used a wire wheel on a drill on second-hand cages that had a bit of rust) and then use spray paint on the wire. Rustoleum even has a galvanized paint now. :p

There are a zillion posts on the topic- I entered the key words rust wire paint and got 3 pages of results:

search.php?keywords=rust+wire+paint&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=all&sr=posts&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

Would 14 ga. 2x4 overlay with thin 1/2x1 be a good option? I can get them at Lowe's. Haven't checked prices but it would be much easier to pick up some down the street instead of having the good wire shipped to me.

Latest posts

Back