Best grain for rabbits?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cedar Point Rabbitry

Reaction score
I've been feeding rolled mixed grain to my rabbits, which is oats and barley rolled. They love it!

But, because of the texture of it, a lot gets wasted.
Lately we've been looking into soaking grain for other livestock and now I'm wondering:

A) Can you feed soaked grain to rabbits?
B) How about sprouted?
C) In light of all this, I'm thinking about getting a whole grain that's not rolled
D) SO, what is the grain (wheat, barley, oats, etc) that you think is best for rabbits? Or mix for that matter.

You can certainly feed whole grain to rabbits. Wheat, barley and oats are all good, but my rabbits used to waste a lot if I gave them whole oats, I think because of the husks. I generally fed wheat because it is also good for geese, whereas I've been told that barley is not the best grain for poultry.

Wheat usually sprouts easily and can be fed as sprouts or as "just germinated" grain. The only downside of feeding wet grain is that it can go mouldy if not eaten up.

I've been feeding sprouted wheat to my rabbits for a little while now - I suppose it's more fodder than sprouted as there's a good root mat. they love it - some more than others, some leave the seeds and roots but most of them eat the whole thing. I haven't had an issue with mold yet but I suspect it's just a matter of time considering the process. They also get whole oats and sunflower seeds. but it's more of a supplement than main food source so there's not a lot to waste in the first place. What I feed has more to do with what I can get than what I think is best - anything barley is a rare (and expensive) find in my area.

For us the choice was limited by what we could get as whole grain at our local feed store. So we feed wheat and oats, the wheat is grown into fodder during the winter (when the weather gets warmer/more humid it starts growing mold and we quit). We also feed BOSS to nursing does and to everybunny when it's really cold in the winter. I used to think oats were being wasted until i looked more closely and saw that it was just the hulls that were being left.

So, as with many things, I don't think there is one "best", just what you can get and what works for your rabbits.

Most do, but the occasional rabbit will hull them- just as was mentioned about whole oats.

Back