A different question about cage wire...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozemba

Reaction score
Alright. I have decided I want to build rather than buy cages. But. I cannot find anywhere local with 1" by 1/2" 14 gauge welded wire. It's all 16 gauge, and GBW to boot.

I looked at several websites.. Kuberantz, and Bass, some others, and they only want to sell 50' rolls for like $100 a roll. I just need 12' of it, since it is just for bottoms of cages. I wouldn't mind maybe a 25' roll but 100' is overkill and it's all I can find.

Does anyone know of some smaller rolls for sale or do I just give up and get it by the foot from some of these?

If you have a tractor supply close by that is the place to get it in 25' rolls. I have not found this size mesh in 14 only 16 and more than enough for the bottoms. I bought mine from a feed mill and they were willing to sell it by the foot too. But I knew I was going to build big and a lot of cages. So I bought the 100' rolls.

I know some have 16 gauge floors and never have an issue.

I've had nothing but trouble.

After 18 months, I had to replace all of my Bass Equipment cage floors (16 gauge GAW). I ordered floors from Klubertanz (14 gauge GAW). I think they just may outlast me.

I had to build a cage quickly once a couple of years ago, as I was getting a rabbit unexpectedly. Locally, all that was available was 16 gauge, and it's low quality stuff (it's still that way). I'm getting ready to replace it. It's got broken wires, not just broken welds.

The wire that you will find in feed or hardware stores is very poor quality compared to that sold by cage companies. I would strongly suggest that you save yourself the frustration of having to redo your cages in a year or two, and buy good wire from the outset.

KW Cages sells wire by the foot:

https://www.kwcages.com/diy/wire/galvanized.html

Did you talk to Klubertanz on the phone? I've bought wire by the foot from them. Their online catalog still shows pricing by the foot.

I only recommend 14-guage GAW wire for floors. And add extra support - "floor spreaders" - too. The only thing worse than building your own cages is having to rebuild them. Seriously. Make the investment. Both you and your rabbits will be glad you did.

Thanks all.

I sent an email off to Klubertanz to ask about ordering and stuff. They had the cheaper by the foot pricing.

In other news I set up an automatic watering system, right now until I work out the kinks it is only going to one rabbit. But he has two nipples to choose from. 5 gallon bucket, hooked up to first 1/2" then down to 5/16" tubing to the nipples. Just gravity fed, doing well. I've eliminated the leaks from the fittings and tubing, had issues trying to find a way to connect the 5/16" tubing to anything else to get attached to el bucket, got it figured out with sprayer fittings from work.

The only ding against Klubertanz is that they can be slow. They weren't for me (in that it didn't take longer than they said it would... I think it was three weeks for me). Some have had issues with orders taking a long time, though. Be sure to ask about timing. :)

Miss M":1gyl5fu4 said:
The only ding against Klubertanz is that they can be slow. They weren't for me (in that it didn't take longer than they said it would... I think it was three weeks for me). Some have had issues with orders taking a long time, though. Be sure to ask about timing. :)
exactly...

Can't argue with the quality of Klubertanz' wire! But if you've got a time you need them done by, you may want to go with KWcages or Woody's Wabbits or... I think Bass sells 14 gauge floors as an option in their cages now, so you could ask them about buying those separately.

Latest posts

Back