Register

Violent rabbit

A place to vent about what's bugging you. Please keep it civil.
4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 15.00

Violent rabbit

Post Number:#1  Unread postby dawn g » Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:38 pm

So about 6 months ago we bought a rabbit from some people who werent taking care of it. Just recently she has become very violent! She hits us and just yesterday while feeding her she hit me! I cant believe it! We made her a yard so she can run around in, we feed her pellets, timothy hay, and "treats", moslty consisting of kale, spinach, broccoli, a small carrot once in awhile. (I researched what she can have first). I dont understand what is going on. She didnt do this before! Any comments greatly apreciated.

Site Admin
10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 61,409.00

Re: Violent rabbit

Post Number:#2  Unread postby MaggieJ » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:01 pm

Welcome to RabbitTalk, dawn g! :welcome:

How old was your rabbit when you got her. If she was quite young, she may be reaching the age where she wants to be bred. Some does get very hormonal at that stage.

When you say she "hits you", do you mean she strikes at you with both front feet held together? This is very typical doe aggression behaviour. I've even seen cottontails do it when a male gets too fresh and they aren't receptive.

I really don't have any suggestions for a "fix", except to say that many owners of pet rabbits opt to have them spayed and this may help, but there are no guarantees.

The folks here with pet rabbits may be able to offer suggestions. My rabbits were for meat and this was not an issue.

This site offers many insights into rabbit behaviour and I heartily recommend it. :)
http://language.rabbitspeak.com/
Sojourning in 1894 . . .

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 36,700.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby akane » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:07 pm

She's probably an intact female and it is time to breed. Some are horrible when the hormones hit. I had a somewhat infamous "Demon rabbit" for awhile. She started out as this cute little broken blue (white pattern with blue) that we named Yukiko or snow child and ended up ripping through leather gloves and tearing into my ankle from the ground. Sometimes they improve when bred, sometimes they don't. Spaying can fix it but not always. Some become cage aggressive and can't stand anyone reaching into their cage even if you take away the hormones. If that is the only time it happens you can try a few things like rearranging the cage and changing it's height or location. A top opening cage can help but isn't always practical in your average rabbitry. It's kind of random what works and what doesn't on a given rabbit. I had one that only attacked over food for awhile. The one night he went over the food dish to get me. We changed how we fed him for a few weeks and he got over it even when we went back to the same system we were using previously.
http://s1321.beta.photobucket.com/user/takakageri/library/
Failing might just mean you are trying to climb instead of swim https://youtu.be/evathYHc1Fg

The following user would like to thank akane for this post
dawn g

Site Supporter
8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 2,586.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby SuburbanHomesteader » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:06 pm

Yeah, what Maggie and Akane both said. I'd say she's ready to start dating.

The following user would like to thank SuburbanHomesteader for this post
dawn g

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 15.00

Post Number:#5  Unread postby dawn g » Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:22 pm

MaggieJ wrote:Welcome to RabbitTalk, dawn g! :welcome:

How old was your rabbit when you got her. If she was quite young, she may be reaching the age where she wants to be bred. Some does get very hormonal at that stage.

When you say she "hits you", do you mean she strikes at you with both front feet held together? This is very typical doe aggression behaviour. I've even seen cottontails do it when a male gets too fresh and they aren't receptive.

I really don't have any suggestions for a "fix", except to say that many owners of pet rabbits opt to have them spayed and this may help, but there are no guarantees.

The folks here with pet rabbits may be able to offer suggestions. My rabbits were for meat and this was not an issue.

This site offers many insights into rabbit behaviour and I heartily recommend it. :)
http://language.rabbitspeak.com/

I dont know how she was, but she has gotten bigger. Yes she hits us with both feet and grunts. I will try that thanks!