Wire flooring question , for breeders

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Corgipoo

Reaction score
Hello, I have a chance to get Cali breeders sooner than I thought, I want to use lg dog crates for cages, can I use heavy duty 1" by 1" chicken wire on the floor , at least till our new shed is built.?

I wouldn't use anything with 1x1" openings unless it as really really heavy duty stuff. I have some wire that was used as kennel flooring that has 3/4x3/4" opening but it is at last 12 guage pvc coated wire. Anything lighter gauge than that is likely to cause problems with that large of an opening.

You can get a 10ft roll of the 1/2 x 1" 16 gauge wire tractor supply for $20. I'd suggest you buy that and cut it to fit. You can always use the wire later for repairs or baby saver along the bottoms of the cages. Or you can just layer the dog crates with hay or shavings and clean them out frequently (I'm assuming the crates have a bottom). Some rabbits will even use a litter box but I have no experience with that.

Getting the cheaply made TSC 1/2 by 1 wire is better than having good 1x1 wire for flooring. Legs get stuck, rabbit panics, leads to broken bones and well...no more rabbit. Tried it a couple different ways couple different times for quarantines and all ended badly.

Thanks all , I can afford 20 for wire, need to get dog food at tsp anyway, I do have trays but don't want to upset the does trying to clean them out,

1x1 is way too big, not only will the adults front legs slip through and possibly breaking a leg or tearing the hide off and getting "de-gloved" but kits will fall through and/or get stuck

IMHO chicken wire is useless for rabbit cage for walls, even hardware cloth can be easily torn by a scratching rabbit and eroded by months of urine

Back