What are these and are they rabbit safe?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK I'll go snap a pic.. ty :)

__________ Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:43 am __________

This is the fuzzy leafed plant

This is the one with the reddish center/veins

Andd I think This is wild chive, good to feed?
<br /><br /> __________ Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:48 am __________ <br /><br /> OK so I read chives isn't good. Lol but instill don't know what those other 2 weeds are..

ipoGSD, please add your location (state, province or country, with maybe a direction such as SW or NE) to your profile. Don't just tell us in the thread . . . there are too many members to remember this kind of thing. Having a location helps with plant ID and also with questions relating to weather and climate.

If you know what a plant is, please include the botanical name for it as well. The common names like creeping charlie can refer to different plants in different locations. Only the Latin names stay constant.

Yeah now that you said that it does look like rhubarb! I tasted it tho and it didn't have that sour kick. But I won't be taking any chances!!!

I know there are many websites (this included) that offer lists of safe foods. Is there any that have photos next to each one? I have been googling each name but wow there's so many lol

The second one could be a type of dock. The leaves don't look quite right though. We have yellow dock around here but the leaves are thinner. Maybe google dock and see if you can find a match?

There is also this group the "Plant identification and discussion" group on facebook https://www.facebook.com/groups/623997204362467/ . I've had really good luck posting pictures and getting good ID's. If you find out what they are, please post back with the ID's so the rest of us know.

The second one looks a lot like our new broad leaf(or bitter) dock leaves to me. Rumex obtusifolius
When the leaves first come up in early spring they often have more red pigment than they do later in the year.

I feed young leaves to rabbits.

So after alforddm suggested that it could be a type of dock. I googled them and I'm 100% sure that they are broad leaf docks. After I saw pics of what they look like full grown I was beyond 100% sure.

Zass, may I ask, why young leaves? Is it bad to feed older bigger leaves?

Thank you all for the help. I joined that fb group. Waiting on approval. Hoping if I post a pic, they can identify the first plant.
If I get some info I definitely post here :)

Love love love this site! I lose hours and hours reading new and old posts!

Back