Register

Better Home For Rabbits

A place to vent about what's bugging you. Please keep it civil.
5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 86.00

Better Home For Rabbits

Post Number:#1  Unread postby F.R. BunnyRabbit » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:14 pm

It's been quite a while since I've posted something. Today I wanted to get this off my chest. I've been planning on building a bunny safe fence around the front yard. I haven't had the time or energy to keep an eye on my buns, but I still want to give them plenty of time to play on the grass. I'm saving my money to buy a sturdy fence for them, so the neighborhood cats can't get to them.
I plan on using a high fence for my backyard : http://image.cn.made-in-china.com/prod/000-oacQEdTMTtgL.jpg
and something smaller for the front yard.
I wonder how long it will take me to get these. :grump:

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 34,316.00

Re: Better Home For Rabbits

Post Number:#2  Unread postby ladysown » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:30 pm

if you are planning on getting them a fence to run around in without being there with them, you will want to make sure that

1. they can't dig out
2. nothing can get in at them through flying in, jumping over the fence or whatever.
ladysown

http://athomepets.weebly.com/
Primary Blog : http://athomepets.weebly.com/at-home-pets-blog.html
Old Blog: blogs/athomepets/

The following user would like to thank ladysown for this post
F.R. BunnyRabbit

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 995.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby MoonSpiritMom » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:44 pm

what about a large Rabbit Tractor? basically it's a huge cage that you can put on the ground.. they can't get out, nothing can get in... they still get sunshine and plenty of grass.. and you just move it around your yard when needed.

i think it could cost less then fencing all the way around your yard. not as much room (depending on the size of the tractor) but a good solution....
Working on my little homestead...
13 chickens, 4 muscovy ducks, 4 kids, 2 cats and 1 dog. 5 rabbits! 1 Cali/NZ doe, 1 Giant Chinchilla/Flemish Cross Doe, 2 Flem/NZ cross does, 1 Flem/NZ cross buck!

The following user would like to thank MoonSpiritMom for this post
F.R. BunnyRabbit

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 1,335.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby ozemba » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:45 pm

If you are going to give them the whole front yard, that is a lot of fence and/or netting and work. I let my rabbits pasture in small 10'x10' moveable pens framed with 2x4s with 3' rabbit wire sides and chicken wire tops to keep out hawks and such. It is in my chain link fenced in backyard so I'm not worried about neighborhood dogs, although a past adjoining backyard neighbor's pitbulls once got into our yard and killed one rabbit and fatally wounded our Schipperke. The rabbit wire I still would not trust by itself with strange dogs determined to get a rabbit.

The following user would like to thank ozemba for this post
F.R. BunnyRabbit

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership

Post Number:#5  Unread postby F.R. BunnyRabbit » Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:01 pm

ladysown wrote:

My buns are pretty mellow when playing out of their hutches, but I probably should be wary for digging.
MoonSpiritMom wrote:

Seems like this will have to be my choice for now, since I don't have much money. It'll have to be on a smaller scale, but at least they get to jump around on the soft grass. n_n
ozemba wrote:If you are going to give them the whole front yard, that is a lot of fence and/or netting and work. I let my rabbits pasture in small 10'x10' moveable pens framed with 2x4s with 3' rabbit wire sides and chicken wire tops to keep out hawks and such. It is in my chain link fenced in backyard so I'm not worried about neighborhood dogs, although a past adjoining backyard neighbor's pitbulls once got into our yard and killed one rabbit and fatally wounded our Schipperke. The rabbit wire I still would not trust by itself with strange dogs determined to get a rabbit.

My front yard is on the smaller end, but it would still require a lot of fence and work. -_-; I didn't take into account that birds would prey on them as well, and dogs or cats jumping over the fence.
-----
Thank you for sharing your ideas with me. I will need to give more thought into my plans, now.

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 1,335.00

Post Number:#6  Unread postby ozemba » Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:11 pm

F.R. BunnyRabbit wrote:.

My front yard is on the smaller end, but it would still require a lot of fence and work. -_-; I didn't take into account that birds would prey on them as well, and dogs or cats jumping over the fence.

I was actually outside this afternoon handing out treats when they all went on high alert, I turned around and caught a glimpse of the hawk they had all sighted. We don't see them often in town but it's enough for me to put in that extra effort to have peace of mind.

The following user would like to thank ozemba for this post
F.R. BunnyRabbit

Post Number:#7  Unread postby F.R. BunnyRabbit » Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:22 pm

ozemba wrote:

Now that I think about it, my neighborhood has a lot of crows around :shock: . A bunny tractor definitely sounds safest for me at the moment. Even with all the protection of fencing around and overhead, I think I would end up watching them anyway out of paranoia.

Site Supporter
7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 32,531.00

Post Number:#8  Unread postby Dood » Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:02 am

Another possibility :D

On one of my quail boards a member got a metal gazebo for free :up: as the cover had been torn up in a storm. He draped netting over the top, wrapped the lower 36" in hardware cloth and put his quail in :P

It looks awesome and I think it would be suitable for rabbits with minimal supervision. I want to try it and have been on the look out for a used gazebo :wink:

The following user would like to thank Dood for this post
F.R. BunnyRabbit

Post Number:#9  Unread postby F.R. BunnyRabbit » Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:56 pm

Dood wrote:
That was quite a lucky find. Gazebo's are quite large, aren't they? Oh, and expensive. It's a good suggestion for future plans, though.

I've looked up other ideas and found a tractor set up using pvc pipes; I like how portable it looks, and affordable for a newbie rabbit owner.
https://whendidthisbecomeafarm.files.wo ... ts-001.jpg