New Zealand/ American Chinchilla

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ButtonsPalace

Reaction score
So I feel as I may have a mix because I have two gray does and a white doe that is REW
Buck:
[album]3100[/album]
Mom Doe:
[album]3099[/album]
Baby Doe:
[album]3109[/album]
These are all older images but this is the doe buck and a baby that is much bigger now haha! She has also had a litter and had some grays and a black and a white. Any idea? I just wanna get an idea I've been looking into it a lot so I know but I don't know exactly where the breeder lives anymore *It's been 3 years...* Umm.. Yeah but when I went I seen what looked like Flemish Giant but he had a few different breeds there... I remember he had some sort of like tags from the filthy cages that had the name and breed on it so I suppose he didn't cross unless he forgot or felt like it.

not quite sure that you are asking. are you asking if they are part Flamish? you'll need to take much better pictures of them from the side but I really don't think they are Flemish at all.

Could we see a front face view? What I'm finding is Flemish have a distinct look to their ears. they are set on the head a certain way that seemingly is carried over into crosses. My Giant Chin Doe is crossed with a flemish.. and it's quite evident in her ears that's she's part Flemmy.

Celice":4m7zdtwh said:
not quite sure that you are asking. are you asking if they are part Flamish? you'll need to take much better pictures of them from the side but I really don't think they are Flemish at all.

No I'm not asking if they are Flemish I want to know if it's possible for the three of them to be New Zealands. Or if they are a mix with Chinchilla the dude I bought them from said he had all three but he apparently specifically breeds his Giants for himself for meat. <br /><br /> __________ Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:07 pm __________ <br /><br />
MoonSpiritMom":4m7zdtwh said:
Could we see a front face view? What I'm finding is Flemish have a distinct look to their ears. they are set on the head a certain way that seemingly is carried over into crosses. My Giant Chin Doe is crossed with a flemish.. and it's quite evident in her ears that's she's part Flemmy.

No no no. I am PRETTY sure they have NO Flemish lol. I have a Silver Fox Doe that is younger than my oldest doe and at least a good 3 pounds heavier and bigger in size than the older doe.

I believe, as a rule, Silver Fox are smaller than New Zealands, so I wouldn't think they are NZ. Just a mixed mutt of some kind.

Hmm I'll look into it. The newest are definitely Silver Fox all 6 of them are. But the other 4 I don't know. I'll look into it and run it by ya'll and see what everyone thinks :) <br /><br /> __________ Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:12 pm __________ <br /><br /> Soo... From what I'm figuring they are Standard Chinchilla's from their weight and color and what-not BUT I have occasional jet blacks and REW so there is probably another breed of some sort mixed in that's giving me blacks and whites. Or at least that's what I would think unless Standard Chinchilla can throw blacks and whites. I'm not an expert and I know I've been trying to figure this out for a while but it's kinda bothersome like I really want to know for some reason lol

they seem really small to be NZ or Chinchilla even a cross of the two would make a really nice sized rabbit since NZ are generally 10 - 12lb and American Chins 9-12lb. I think they are just mutts. it's kinda hard to get a just of their body and proportions from the pictures so they could be anything. I have a few meat mutts that have Netherland Dwarf in them but you'd never know it given their size and proportions.

Maybe they are mixed with a dwarf. But they would meet the size range of something between a Standard and an American Chinchilla I'd say they weigh about 6-9 lbs each and they meet the coloring. But then again black and white babies.

that's what makes me think they are just backyard bunny mutts. I myself have a few that look like purebreds but they are not (my 'rex' are mutts that happen to have rex fur) and since Chins only have chinchilla babies unless bred to a different rabbit breed/mutt and NZW only have white unless bred to a different color. Have you tried to figure out what body type they have?

I'd say short in length *Nose to tail* and they probably weigh no more than 8 lbs each they aren't very big. They are stocky I guess is a description word. Their fat too... Really fat from winter. It was a pretty bad few weeks of winter though.. Here is two good pics of one of them she is my REW doe that I've kept from my Gray older doe.
Butterball.jpg
Butterball 1.jpg

Now that pic looks like a NZ, or a NZ cross, just smaller if you are at all close on the weight.

Pretty bun. If she is overweight, keep in mind you'll want to slim her down before breeding her.

yeah! that picture looks much better. she dose look like a NZ cross here just rather small.

Seeing as the Silver Fox I got weighs I think the guy said 13 But she had babies recently.. So I'd guess mine could be about 9 or so.. *Just got back from weighing one apparently we have A scale* The White and Gray doe each weigh about 10 and the smallest one I have is about 8 she isn't a year yet and it pretty close to 9 pound. But it'd have to been a Chin/NZ mutt mix cause their bodies look like the Chin and two of them are the colors of a chin with the fur and all.

Back