Additions

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozemba

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm picking up two does this weekend and this has forced me to think about housing in the future... Right now I've got the cages and everything for these two but I would like a more permanent hutch style weather resistant sort of thing. They will be living in the garage for the time being.

I found this on pinterest...
img_2503.jpg
https://littlemissourihomestead.wordpre ... collector/

It has a lot of framing that I think is frivolous, but I like solid construction myself, I can see where they were coming from. My does wouldn't need the attached box or the extra framing around the front or siding on the back, I'm fine with all/mostly wire. How could I go about fixing up this to be a bit easier on the wallet? Looking at the lumber they used (mostly 2x4's) that is a lot of money and woodworking. That beast must weigh a ton too.

I looks like the slant boards are wood? :x :x

Would defiantly want to either cover the wood with something non permeable or use a different material entirely for the waste system.

alforddm":1llntusk said:
I looks like the slant boards are wood? :x :x

Would defiantly want to either cover the wood with something non permeable or use a different material entirely for the waste system.

Yeah, they said they coated it with truck bed coating? maybe and that it had worn off so that's a definite no go on the wood slant boards. I was thinking flashing. Easier to mess with in the first place. <br /><br /> -- Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:49 pm -- <br /><br /> I have an "indoor" area for the rabbits to be. It's 12' by 8' wood floored area in an unattached, non-insulated, no electric, dirt floor garage. The rest of the 'garage' is storage. The building itself doesn't look great, siding is rotting, paint peeling, needs new shingles, but it's rainproof and windproof, with a solid foundation. To most city folk it probably looks like a barn... And that's what it is basically being used for now anyway. A bunny barn!

I've run power out there with an extension cord for light and heat lamps to keep water from freezing. I wouldn't mind just building cages in there but it's so dark, even with lights... Maybe I gotta hire an electrician to run some power out there.. It was wired for a workshop for the previous house owners, but the addition to the house when we bought it took out the cable from the house to the garage. There are outlets and work lights wired out there.

I could probably do a project some weekend and get a door, build a partition between the 'workshop' and dirt floor part of the garage, insulate it a bit, and put in a swamp cooler, just to keep temps down over the summer.

Back