Gonna try something---

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frosted Rabbits

Reaction score
If Wilma co-operates, and this new buck matures fast enough,I am going to cover Wilma with him, I figure, her carrying the blue eyes, and him being red eyed, hopefully, I will have some blue eyed babies again. Meantime, I am waiting to see if Wilma and Marsha kindle next week.

I am trying not to get too excited-- especially after the last disappointment. I Know Chip got Marsha real good-- Wilma is my questionable one-- and she is a bit older than Marsha. Marsha is again looking thick about the middle, and she is molting, now, too-- so who knows....I am not to the point of holding my breath.

What would him red eyed have to do with it? REW + BEW= everything but those 2 unless each rabbit carries the genes for the other. The 2 do not interact. Breeding a BEW to a REW is the same as breeding a BEW to a black.

Wilma is carrying Blue eye genetics- and since there seems to be such controversy over blue and red dominating the other, I am giving it a shot if I can-- If there are blue eyed babies in the litter,then Blue dominates red. I know I am not dealing with albino here, so that is removed from the equation. The albino issue seems to be muddying the BEW discussions- So, I am not using albino genetics unless the new rabbit is carrying them-- but phenotypically, he is white with markings.

You still need 2 bew or 2 rew genes. The question would be if you had a rabbit with 2 rew genes and 2 bew genes which would win. If you are breeding a bew rabbit to a rew that doesn't carry bew and the bew doesn't carry rew you are just going to get whatever color is underneath. You'd have to cross that generation to each other to solve the question since they would both carry 1 rew and 1 bew gene to make 2 of each when crossed.

between red and blue, SOMETHING has to be dominate- I got a couple months yest to figure out the tie in between coat color and eye color-- spent hours looking for research papers on it last night-- not much out there. I do know eye color and color of brain tissue is connected. True albinism is a total lack of color, so a true albino cannot 'hide' color genetics.

Frosted Rabbits":2s1ch3uh said:
between red and blue, SOMETHING has to be dominate- I got a couple months yest to figure out the tie in between coat color and eye color-- spent hours looking for research papers on it last night-- not much out there. I do know eye color and color of brain tissue is connected. True albinism is a total lack of color, so a true albino cannot 'hide' color genetics.
The thing is, no, between two recessives at different locations, SOMETHING doesn't have to be dominant. Neither one is expressed if it doesn't have a full set. You would end up with an agouti(or black or whatever) rabbit that CARRIES BOTH REW and BEW.

It would take multiple test crosses to full BEW and REW animals be sure that the offspring did indeed carry both, and then if you had two that carried both you could breed them to each other and eventually you could have one rabbit that was __cc__vv__. In THAT case, it would be VERY interesting to see which was expressed, red or blue. It would take further test crosses to a full REW and a full BEW to prove that you had both genes in one rabbit. A __cc___vv__ should produce all REW when bred to an REW and all BEW when bred to a BEW. But I don't know if it would have red or blue eyes itself. My suspicion is that it would be REW and carry BEW, but I am purely guessing.

Please don't take this as discouragement, I think all backyard meat breeders ought to test cross the heck out of our animals for the experiment value, as long as we are breeding anyway, why not learn something? I don't really expect to make champions, but if the freezer is filled and I learn something I am thrilled. We are the perfect people to make these kind of crosses for fun. So report all experimental results! :)

Cali is a black animal, who is most certainly an albino, he just is only able to produce one set of chemicals to show the temperature sensitive points. Rew is a mutation where they CAN"T produce pigment, they still have the genetic info. I am not sure if Wilma is a full BEW ie all white with blue eyes or a coloured animal with blue eyes. The latter would mean she only has one copy of the bew gene and may or may not pass it on to her offspring. As to what the new buck carries well he could have rew, self or agouti, anything is possible.

Wilma is a marked rabbit, brown eyes-- I already know she is carrying blue, as she has already had blue eyed kits when bred to a relative of hers. Sadly, Fred is dead. I don't have a AmChin buck with blue in his eye coloring- she was hopefully bred a few days ago to a MR that has a definite blue tinge to his grey eye color.
Hey, if I dont get blue eyed kits this time around, theres always another breeding chance!!!

Back