Three bucks will only "go" once each!!!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GBov

Reaction score
What is the deal with one timer bucks and how did I wind up with all my bucks being one go guys? :evil:

I do know the boys can do the job with one go but I get better fertility/more litters with bucks that do it more. Like, three times? Is that too much to ask?

All my mutt bucks use to be energizer bunnies and my NZs were no slouches either but my Rex guys, one shot wonders. And its not age as my three bucks range from 10 months to 2 years. They just do the job and then stamp or twitch or groom her ears. The girls like the last option best. :lol:

I would remove the doe. Go do something for five-ten minutes and then bring doe back to the buck. OR if it doesn't matter who the doe is bred to, just breed her with another buck. :)

Two of my loppy bucks are like this. If i don't have time I breed the doe to buck number three who ALWAYS throws either torts or tan kits. Never get anything different from him. Makes it easy to tell which kits come from which buck. :)

when that has happened with mine I will pick her up and hold her a minute, turn around from the cage and just hold and pet here a moment, then turn back around and put her in the cage with him again. it seems like he has thought it was a new girlfriend or something. I don't understand it but it has worked to get at least one more cover. if not then I just came back in an hour or do like a morning and then evening breedings etc like that.

What I keep seeing here on RT is that there has to be a fall-off and that you want multiple covers. But so far in our 2 years with rabbits we've had fall-offs and/or multiple covers only about half the time. But we've always had a litter of 7 to 13 in 31 days Often our does will growl at the buck if we try to put them back in his cage after the one questionable cover. If they don't growl we get another cover or two and kits in a month. If they do growl, the buck backs off, we wonder if they're really bred, and in a month they kindle. Is this unusual? Is it a problem? Why is there so much emphasis on multiple covers and dramatic finishes? All we want is kits. :?

Rainey,is this from one buck, related bucks or just random ones? It is really unusual, one of those exceptions that makes the rule. I never had a litter without fall-off and as you can see in this sub-forum, a lot of people over the past few months had a lot of problems with non-breeding and I bet they would really like a buck like yours ;)

Multiple fall-offs increases the chances for more kits and that the doe really took. Well, at least for us, just common people :lol:

With our last round of three does bred with only one cover each, we got ONE litter. :evil: Of 5 kits. :roll:

Bucks that cover more do seem to give better litters although a single cover will give litters, this I do know. BUT!!! Are Rex more prone to be lazy/confused/complacent/annoying than other breeds or am I just lucky to have three at once?

I will DEFF try to remember to do morning and afternoon breeding as my does really dont like the entire being held thing. Petting they enjoy but not, but NOT, being held. :lol:

Nika":3gu6rvsc said:
Rainey,is this from one buck, related bucks or just random ones? It is really unusual, one of those exceptions that makes the rule. I never had a litter without fall-off and as you can see in this sub-forum, a lot of people over the past few months had a lot of problems with non-breeding and I bet they would really like a buck like yours ;)

Multiple fall-offs increases the chances for more kits and that the doe really took. Well, at least for us, just common people :lol:

Thank you, Nika, for your response. I've been quite confused because while I've found RT very helpful in learning about rabbits, in this about breeding, what I read and our experience with our rabbits are so different.
For the first 2 seasons we were breeding to our original SF buck and it was true for him. This year we've replaced him with a buck out of last year's litters. Only 2 litters so far, one from a definite fall-off followed by another quick cover, 9 kits. The second litter, one dubious cover, tried her with the older buck, no contact, tried to put her back with the young buck later, no contact, and a litter of 9 on day 31. We've bred 2 young does to him, due April 8. Again one there was a fall-off, the other a mounting that didn't look promising, but she refused any contact when we tried again. So we'll see what happens in a couple weeks.
We've got the older buck (2, almost 3 years old) up for sale and I've wondered if we should say something about this pattern to the woman coming to look at him today. Now at least I know it's not "normal". Is it a fault? Guess i've always figured I'd rather have kits with no fall-off than the fall-off and no kits, but maybe it would bother someone else. :?

What abput the girls? Do you see them lift?

I appreciate every detail about a rabbit that I am purchasing and this would be very informative. Do mention it, just so they know what to expect.

Nika":3rbxfekn said:

I appreciate every detail about a rabbit that I am purchasing and this would be very informative. Do mention it, just so they know what to expect.

Not only do they lift but seem baffled that the bucks wont go again. They posture for them and every time the buck touches them they do that little up thing with their tails but then the bucks either stamp or head twitch or just clean their ears.

So the does want it but the bucks dont. :roll:

Nika":14hh84q1 said:

If you were asking about my rabbits, Nika, the does don't always lift. The breedings that we've seen as dubious, we didn't see a lift nor a fall-off. That's what I find confusing--on here, from what I read, those would not be seen as successful breedings, but they produced kits. (And for anyone who remembers that I am visually impaired and figures I just missed the lifts and fall-offs :) , I just want to clarify that there was a younger family member with good vision watching)

GBov, but is it the situation problematic? Do girls get their litters and how how much kits do they have? You can try them with buck of another breed, just to see if multiple fall-offs would increase litter size.

Rainey, amazing :p

Nika":18ehqku6 said:
GBov, but is it the situation problematic? Do girls get their litters and how how much kits do they have? You can try them with buck of another breed, just to see if multiple fall-offs would increase litter size.

Rainey, amazing :p

I might try that with the next round of breedings but the only other buck I have is a Florida White so they wouldnt be sell-able.

Shall see who, of the three bred yesterday, kindle. If its only one of the three again I shall then try some of the tips y'all gave me.

NOT the "Put her right in with another buck" though as I had a buck full on attack a doe once when I tried that. I guess she smelled like the first buck because when I waited a week and tried them again they worked just fine together.

I raise meat mutts, I always breed twice, -- each doe has breeding's by two different bucks, -- I place does in the buck pens, after the does are bread I just switch the does to different buck pens., the bucks will readily breed a new doe just after breeding the first. The only time I breed once is when I am seeing how a new buck will work with my does.

What I find even more confusing is that supposedly multiple covers are better, but really the doe has the most effect on the size of litter.....I read that on a post I had been commenting on here a while back. I took from it that to get the best chances of a good litter, you need a doe that will have a lot of eggs and multiple fall offs combined, but if you don't it doesn't mean you won't have a nice litter.

macksmom98":1lzty9nu said:
What I find even more confusing is that supposedly multiple covers are better, but really the doe has the most effect on the size of litter.....I read that on a post I had been commenting on here a while back. I took from it that to get the best chances of a good litter, you need a doe that will have a lot of eggs and multiple fall offs combined, but if you don't it doesn't mean you won't have a nice litter.

Yes, but lets say better safe than sorry. And, for the bucks sake, there is no harm if he gladly cleans his pipe thoroughly :mrgreen:

So my doe getting attacked by the second buck was a one off then? I havnt wanted to try that again as I only just got her out in time to prevent major damage. :x

Having now done the rabbit calculator (in another thread) and been reliably informed that I need more does I will be setting up more cages this week. Will be keeping two of my Angora project as meat mutts instead of Angoras and will try them with the different bucks breeding method.

Its funny how many different ways one gets with rabbits and all of them right if it gives one kits. :D

GBov I have had the multiple bucks breeding right after another.. Twice it worked and twice it didn't. luckily each time I was standing at the ready with something to safely (for myself and both rabbits) shove between the rabbits in case things turned bad. lucky for me on the twice it did and I could quickly interrupt and remove the doe.

Also I want to say that both of the times the second buck was the same, the one who decided to get scrappy. I might be mis-remembering but I want to say both times was that stupid black mini lop buck who turned into an all around buttface and was gone quickly.

So it might be particular bucks that don't go for that either. I do know that the first time I did the two buck trick was with a mutt buck of unknown age. I wanted to see if he would get a successful litter and the doe at the time I didn't mind if she didn't take. the bucks cages were right next to each other and I took the doe to the young buck, who was half interested but totally confused.. poor guy.. So I took her to the older proven buck and let them go at it a moment but retrieved the doe before he could get lined up. The older buck wasn't happy with that but he got another girlfriend when I was finished ;)
The doe then went back over to the young buck and had a couple successful fall offs once I nudged his butt over so he was on her and facing the right way! hahaha.

I house my bucks right next to each other,- being able to "hate, or resent" each other through the wire, and see and smell the neighbor buck breeding, helps overcome breeding laziness.
- maybe this is why I have never had a buck attack a doe after being bred by his competitor. [but of course I raise "meat mutts" not designer rabbits...]

Back