Judgeing Rex fur quality?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alforddm

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone have any tips for this? I know that guard hairs are bad, but how do you judge density and other qualities? Any tricks that could help?

I only have two pure Rex to go by and had never even touched one until I got my buck :oops: So, I don't have much to compare.

Super thick, very short and feels wonderful.

Best I can say really, all mine feel great but have a few guard hairs on their shoulders. :evil:

The more you can see and feel, the better you will be at judging them. I culled an entire line after 7 months of having Rex as I had learned by then what I liked in fur.

Less dense fur typically feels soft and less springy to the touch. I'd love to have a whole line of ones like the one set of black MR I have, you put your hand on them and they are velvety feeling and you cannot leave a hand print in them. Now my tri's, nice consistent length but density they lack....you can leave a print that stays and they just have a soft almost whispy feel to them.

sometimes you can see the difference.

Here is an example of bad quality in a rex. the fur has lots of guard hairs to it feels more course than soft. There is also the obvious evidence of the curly gene which can effect the feel and texture of the fur.

lilac_sable_by_tricksters_taxidermy-d8vn67a.jpg

a good quality rex should have plush/thick fur that is even with little to no guard hairs. the visual difference can be seen here but sometimes not so much in others so you'll have to check for it.

iron_gray_doe_by_tricksters_taxidermy-d7wma8f.jpg

Rebel.Rose.Rabbitry":219k6z1m said:
Less dense fur typically feels soft and less springy to the touch. I'd love to have a whole line of ones like the one set of black MR I have, you put your hand on them and they are velvety feeling and you cannot leave a hand print in them. Now my tri's, nice consistent length but density they lack....you can leave a print that stays and they just have a soft almost whispy feel to them.

That is a really good point about the hand print and springiness! The line I culled would have held a hand print no problem and I could blow into the fur and see skin. The ones I have now, not a chance of seeing skin, no mater how I huff and puff. I can rest a marble on a hide and it doesnt even sink into the fur on the line I kept. Was right sad to loose that doe but she did leave a wonderful reminder of herself. <br /><br /> __________ Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:57 pm __________ <br /><br /> Oh yeh, adn they should have good fur as babies! Not long wispy fur they have to grow into! You wont sell many young Rex with that kind of fur even if they grow into a good coat.

Back