Caught Another Mink/Weasel

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Truckinguy

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Went out to feed the critters this morning, caught some movement out of the corner of my eye and saw this varmint coming out from under the turkey shed. It was not the least bit worried about me and actually ended up in the feed shed investigating my boot. I was in with the chickens feeding them and it was actively trying to get into the chicken area and almost got in at a couple of places. I couldn't believe that it was trying to get at the birds with me standing right there with them. The chickens were freaking out and flying all over the place in a panic. I ran in the house and grabbed a couple of tins of sardines and went out and set the trap. It went into the trap right in front of me and I watched as it tripped the trigger. Glad I got it when I did or it might have cost me a whole lotta chickens! I guess the traps are going out every night now! By the way, those feathers in the picture are from a couple of roosters I processed during the winter, they're not from last night...lol

My neighbor had one of these last summer try to take a chicken out of his yard with three people and two dogs standing right around the chicken.

Attachments

• IMG_23161.jpg
    IMG_23161.jpg
    963.8 KB · Views: 2,544
  • IMG_23241.jpg
    IMG_23241.jpg
    657.4 KB · Views: 2,544
  • IMG_23271.jpg
    IMG_23271.jpg
    1,016.7 KB · Views: 2,544
alforddm":2doewf59 said:
It being unafraid of you makes me wonder if it is an escapee (or let loose) from a farm somewhere.

This is a definite possibility! The mink we've had here in the past likely came from a nearby mink farm (closed now). Their property actually met ours someplace out yonder in the back forty. We didn't find out it was even there until after it closed down and they were selling off steel roofing from the mink sheds at a bargain price.

wow... bold as brass... I hope to catch him tonight. have the trap all set up. Hubby says "ah, you'll catch the rats first".

but hopefully I'll catch me a mouse killer!

The lad was so upset. It would make sense if it ATE the mice, but all it did was kill them seemingly for the fun of it.

I wouldn't know what to think if I saw that thing wandering through my yard! :shock: Glad you got it before it got your chickens! It's kinda cute in a way, but knowing the teeth it has in that mouth, no thank you! (I am thinking of the right animal, aren't I? :oops: I don't have any personal experience with them, obviously)

In defence of mink and weasels, you will not find a better rat-killer anywhere. At least twice we have had our rat population decimated by a resident mink or weasel. They seemed content to eat rats until they became scarce . . . and then started on the chickens and rabbits. Even in the colony, the mink contented itself with one rabbit. It chased the others around, but returned to feed on the one it had killed.

I thought it seemed quite tame. If I stood still it would carry on as if I wasn't there but if I moved it ran away. It was persistently trying to get through the fence at the chickens while I was standing there surrounded by the birds. I couldn't believe my eyes.

I have had very few rats here since the mink have been around but when I saw how it was so intent on getting at the chickens I had to catch it. When the other mink from a few weeks ago killed my roosters it didn't eat them either, just killed all five of them.

It is currently residing in the freezer until I can decide on whether I'm going to get it mounted by a taxidermist. Nice looking animal, should make a great display!

Sardines work great, even for raccoons but I love sardines too and I hate wasting them on varmints... gotta do what ya gotta do, I guess!

Latest posts

Back