Alfalfa hay okay for rabbits?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmywalt

Reaction score
Is alfalfa hay in rectangular bales from a farmer okay for small breed rabbits? Holland lop, mini lop, mini rex and lionheads.

We live in Michigan if that makes a difference.

Thank you.

I thought alfalfa is only good for baby rabbits and rabbits that need to put on some extra weight. Isn't it too rich? And can cause kidney issues over time?

Momto3boys":1s0gxo6w said:
I thought alfalfa is only good for baby rabbits and rabbits that need to put on some extra weight. Isn't it too rich? And can cause kidney issues over time?

The House Rabbit people will tell you this and since pet rabbits tend to be overfed and therefore too fat, there is a certain grain of truth to this. That said, alfalfa is the main ingredient in most rabbit pellets, so it really depends on how you are feeding your rabbits.

If you are feeding pellets and your rabbits eat all their pellets and all their alfalfa hay, they may be getting too rich a diet--especially if they are piggies!

I fed alfalfa hay free choice to my rabbits for years with absolutely no problems as a major part of their natural diet. I also fed small amounts of whole grain and as much fresh feed (safe weeds and tree cuttings) as the season permitted. The rabbits did great and did not become fat, as long as the grain component was limited.

Excess calcium is normally excreted in the urine. Really excess amounts may cause bladder sludge, but this is relatively uncommon.

MaggieJ":208odfxg said:
Momto3boys":208odfxg said:

The House Rabbit people will tell you this and since pet rabbits tend to be overfed and therefore too fat, there is a certain grain of truth to this. That said, alfalfa is the main ingredient in most rabbit pellets, so it really depends on how you are feeding your rabbits.

If you are feeding pellets and your rabbits eat all their pellets and all their alfalfa hay, they may be getting too rich a diet--especially if they are piggies!

I fed alfalfa hay free choice to my rabbits for years with absolutely no problems as a major part of their natural diet. I also fed small amounts of whole grain and as much fresh feed (safe weeds and tree cuttings) as the season permitted. The rabbits did great and did not become fat, as long as the grain component was limited.

Excess calcium is normally excreted in the urine. Really excess amounts may cause bladder sludge, but this is relatively uncommon.

Definitely good to know.

My rabbit pellets are alfalfa based.
I know Oxbow makes their young rabbit/guinea pig feed alfalfa based and their adult foods are timothy based.

I do feed an alfalfa based pellet but I feed only Timothy or other long grain hays such as Orchard grass.

Everything in moderation, totally make sense.

Latest posts

Back