My Dwarf litter, which one is the best?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittleFluffyBunnies

Reaction score
So my litter of Dwarf rabbits is 2 1/2 weeks old. I think I have three bucks, three does(Perfect!).
My rabbits are not purebred, and really are just small. I am breeding for pets, but my just for fun project is to keep does with new colors, and add more colors to my program this way. I also want to only keep a doe that has the best Dwarf-looking head, smallest ears, best body shape, and no defects. I know I will not get an ND looking rabbit, however by keeping only the best from a litter I hope to add more desired qualities. I only have one buck and one doe, and my sisters buck, and I am not prepared to cull unless absolutely necessary, so I won't get very far. But it will be a fun project.

So, considering my intentions, which out of my litter would you say is the best? Out of the three does, which would you keep? I only want the best out of these, I know compared to a purebred they are horrible. But I love them very much, they are super cute and tiny. Please don't critisize, it is just a fun project. <br /><br /> __________ Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:03 am __________ <br /><br /> Had to add last pic here.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender(1).jpg
    FullSizeRender(1).jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 873
  • FullSizeRender(2).jpg
    FullSizeRender(2).jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 873
  • FullSizeRender(3).jpg
    FullSizeRender(3).jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 873
  • FullSizeRender(4).jpg
    FullSizeRender(4).jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 873
  • FullSizeRender(5).jpg
    FullSizeRender(5).jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 873
  • FullSizeRender(6).jpg
    FullSizeRender(6).jpg
    113 KB · Views: 872
That is going to be a really hard question to answer without actually laying hands on them at this point. They are so floofy, I really can't tell much about them besides the fact that they are very cute. They seriously look like little cotton balls with heads and ears. I want to squeeze them (gently) lol.

It is impossible to evaluate on type at this age. They are very cute, but not "dwarfy" looking at all, IMHO. Ears are all wrong, narrow, thin, long, and poorly placed; head shape is too narrow; eyes are not bold. My kids raise and show Netherland Dwarfs and they are a difficult breed. Even in purebred dwarfs there are "big uglies" (babies that get no dwarf gene and are bigger, not necessarily ugly) that don't look as dwarf-like. Breeders that are trying to get good show type have lots of culls that many sell as pets. I saw this gently but please, if you are going to sell, even as pets, do not represent a mixed breed rabbit as a "Dwarf" just because they are small. If you want to breed rabbits with dwarf-type, start with true Netherland Dwarf parents would be a more realistic and transparent way to accomplish that goal.

I agree it is still a bit early to be selecting and also agree that you should call them "small breed mixes" as I am quite sure neither parent has a dwarf gene.

I know you mentioned that in South Africa the rabbit hobby is not as extensive as other countries and finding show quality stock is an issue but you should still try to accurately represent your bunnies

Also, because you did not get any blue eyed whites I wonder if it is the Dutch gene or mid-marks giving the parents white markings and not the Vienna gene :shrug:

If I recall correctly there were concerns that your rabbits had pinched hips so I would select one with the best conformation, especially if you are planning to keep a doe

Please post again once they are older, I'd say closer to 6 weeks, and we can try and select the most promising prospect :)

Back