Saving a fur/pelt

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dayna

Reaction score
So..

Lots of folks meet my buns and really love their colors and fur. I've had some requests for natural (no chemical) pelt saving.

I found a "recipe" that you basically skin the rabbit, cover with salt and let sit over night. Then you clean that off, cover in egg yolks and a wet towel and let sit over night, scrape, wash in soap, roll with a rolling pin for 5-10 minutes every hour till its soft and pliable, then smoke for 15-30 minutes.

Would this actually work? No battery acid, no lye, no caustic chemicals? No leaving outside for long periods of time?

I've put off doing furs because I don't like dealing with that sort of stuff. But the above? That would be easy for me.

you mean tan a pelt naturally? there are a couple of ways to do it one with egg and the other with the rabbits own brain. But I'd ask Zass she's much more successful about tanning them than I am :)

yes

__________ Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:57 am __________

Anyone? <br /><br /> __________ Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:05 pm __________ <br /><br /> Anyone?

I've made a few threads on the subject, including a comparison of some different ways to produce oiled rawhides, which is what you are describing.

alternative-tanning-comparison-t22338.html

I've also gone ahead and fleshed and broken a raw pelt with no oil. It came out much like the egg. Smelled of blood, and had no stretch.

I made some very nice hair-off leather, oiled with emulsified olive oil. I think, I need to try making on olive oil only pelt to compare to the brain, egg, and oil soap ones.

Zass":173hzyxl said:
I've made a few threads on the subject, including a comparison of some different ways to produce oiled rawhides, which is what you are describing.

alternative-tanning-comparison-t22338.html

I've also gone ahead and fleshed and broken a raw pelt with no oil. It came out much like the egg. Smelled of blood, and had no stretch.

I made some very nice hair-off leather, oiled with emulsified olive oil. I think, I need to try making on olive oil only pelt to compare to the brain, egg, and oil soap ones.

Thank you! That thread was exactly what I was looking for.

I NEVER use salt as it was soooo messy when I tried salting a hide. For preserving hides I either freeze or dry them. And for brain/oil/mayo tanning I always start from dried.

Its fun and, once smoked, the hides smell good enough to eat. :lol:

My next attempt at tanning is going to use my used tea leaves as step one and then the oil and breaking and smoking.

A rolling pin eh? Every hide I have done takes more work than that but it might work if you rolled it from every direction and both front and back.

Back