why are my rabbits not getting the runs

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ridgerunner1965

Reaction score
i have been feeding a mix of pellets, apple twigs, alfalfa hay,wheat grass and turnip greens. ive been watching them very carefully for loose stools.i would expect them to get loose with this diet. am i wrong?i feed a lot of succulents but they seem fine.i have a lot of wheat grass and turnip greens and they really love them.i feed each rabbit a full handfull of greens twice a day.along with the twigs and hay, they dont eat a lot of pellets.so far they have been doing fine.these are young rabbitts im trying to get up to breeding size.i plan to cut them down to a lower fat diet when they get closer to breeding age.they are about 2.5 months old now.any advice would be appreciated!

Doesn't sound to me like you need advice... Your rabbits sound like they are doing just fine! :D

It is sudden changes in a rabbit's diet that may cause the runs or loose stools, not the fresh foods per se. This is not a high fat diet and I don't know what changes you might be planning to make as they get closer to breeding age. Maybe you could give us some more information about that.

You may find that the rabbits grow a bit more slowly on the diet you are feeding them, since they are eating less of the pelleted food and more fresh foods. My rabbits are on a pellet-free diet of alfalfa and grass hay, whole grain and fresh foods. They tend to take about 14-16 weeks to reach the 5 pound mark instead of the 10-12 weeks that can easily be achieved on pellets alone. They are meat mutts, however, and even when mature run a little lighter than purebred NZW would do.

they do seem to be doing fine and all changes ive made have been gradual.when they get to breeding age ill cut down on the pellets which are now free choice as much as they will eat and get them in shape for fertility.

Chances are good that they will cut back on the pellets by choice.

One thing you need to watch if they get to the point where they hardly touch the pellets is that the pellets don't get stale or damp/mouldy as a result of being in the feeders too long.

Have you given thought to how you will feed them during the winter? It's so easy when the greens are abundant, but quite another story when the growing season is over. It can be done, of course, but you may want to give it some thought.

winter feed shouldnt be a problem.here in southren MO, ive had turnip greens available pretty much year round in my deer food plots, along with some other frost hardy greens like winter wheat.after my sweet corn is done ill prob plant that plot in turnips and wheat.its close to the house so i could cover it up if its going to snow.

Sounds like a very good diet to me. I cant imagine you would want them to get the runs, so be happy that they are doing well.

Latest posts

Back