Buck won't climax?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YMS_1975

Reaction score
Ok,

So I'm trying to breed my "meat rabbits" (NZW's), but the buck doesn't seem to climax.

He'll mount the does, he'll have sex, but he never seems to fall off at the end of the act. Any idea why this is happening?

I have been considering keeping two bucks in one cage, and when I want to breed a doe, I'll add her to the cage of two bucks in the hopes that if one buck can't perform.....the other will.

Thoughts???

Sounds like your does aren't feeling it, and probably are not "lifting," or positioning themselves to allow for penetration.

There are different ways to tell if a doe is going to be in the mood."
Some check vent color, with deeper purple or dark red preferred over pink.
I go by doe behavior.
Chin rubbing and acting extra frisky, for example. I just know my girls well enough, I can generally tell when they will be receptive. :shrug:

Two bucks in one cage will likely brutally maim each other before they even see a doe. :eek: They can be quite aggressive. It's more advisable to take the doe to one buck's pen, and then to the other buck's..

Also, the number one factor in does who never lift seems to be body fat. Older does (anything over 6 months, depending on bloodline) will be somewhat likely to be overweight, and, as Grumpy likes to say :)
"Fat rabbits don't breed!"

So 2 bucks in one cage is a no-go.

How about 2 or 3 does in one cage? That way, I could introduce multiple does to the buck (in his cage) and after maybe 30 minutes, I could return my ladies to their shared cage.

OK....

one rabbit per cage, got it. Sorry to nitpick, but I need a little more info. regarding that one rabbit per cage rule.

I understand that one rabbit should occupy one cage at any given time, but what about when they're mating?
Would it be ok to put multiple does in with one buck while mating? That way, if he can't impregnate one of them, he might get one of the other ones?

Or should I keep mating one on one as well? Lastly....I don't think me putting my hand in there to lift the does rear end (to assist in breeding) will work. As soon as they see me, they get all nervous and start running around in their cage.

Usually I watch them breed, but today I thought I'd try a different approach. I put 2 does in cage with the buck, and I'm giving them 1 hour of alone time. Hoping this will do the trick.

things can go downhill real fast with multiple rabbits in one cage. it is a safer bet to be patient and take it at their pace. sometimes it takes multiple interactions over the course of a few days to finally get somewhere. and aometimes does can get pregnant without a fall pff - i have had it happen in my herd.

ignore the lack of caps and occasional typos... i loathe touchscreens

Just wanted to say what I see now that heritage said and what I said earlier today in a different thread I started--you could have does already bred since you saw him mount. At least half of the 15 litters we've had so far have been from breedings that did not include a fall off. And with our rabbits, once the doe is bred, however dubious that breeding looked, she doesn't usually cooperate for another round and our bucks don't push it. I don't know if that is at all typical but in your place I would put in nest boxes 28 days from the time I saw any possible breeding take place.

I guess I'll just have to keep trying. This is more difficult than I thought it would be.
Question : How many times in a day can a buck mate?

If I have four does, can I introduce each doe to the buck (one at a time) after 30 minute intervals?

For example :

12:00 - 12:30 : Buck & Doe #1
12:30 - 1:00 : Buck & Doe #2
1:00 - 1:30 : Buck & Doe #3
1:30 - 2:00 : Buck & Doe #4

Or is that too much for the buck? I don't want to stress any of my rabbits.

Latest posts

Back