Rabbit transport

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rabbitdog

Reaction score
Well, we have finally decided to attempt a major upgrade of meat stock. We have been discussing the possiblility of purchasing some rabbits from Crossroads rabbitry in Alabama and are now ready to move forward. We will be driving from Virginia to pick up these rabbits and returning in the same day (yes, I know ... we're half crazy and this may be some of the most expensive rabbit meat ever eaten by man).
If anyone wants to purchase some of their rabbits, I will be happy to transport additional buns for gas $. You would simply need to pay for your rabbits in advance and then make arrangements to meet us at a convenient exit or rest area on our route. We are tentatively scheduling to make the trip on 10/16. PM me if you're interested. Here's their website:
http://www.crossroadsrabbitry.com/pricing-information/

I have visited the website several times before. Wish I was on your route, cause I'm looking for some new good blood. Do you have a good market for meat rabbits, that your willing to make the long travel?

ZRab":bsshhzke said:
I have visited the website several times before. Wish I was on your route, cause I'm looking for some new good blood. Do you have a good market for meat rabbits, that your willing to make the long travel?

No market, these are just for our family (we really like rabbit meat and I'm almost sickened by what is pumped into commercial meat production; just don't understand how people can eat the junk out of the grocery stores and fast food chains .... well, actually I do .... "Ignorance is Bliss"). A friend of mine and I have been trying new rabbits for many years now and trying to upgrade what we have. Unfortunately, we just don't seem to be making any progress. I guess we just don't understand the breeding for improvement model. Anyway, we've been threatening to bite the bullet for quite some time and now, realizing that we're not getting any younger, time is more important than money. And heck, to be honest, it's just become a personal quest to produce 5 lb rabbits in less than 12 weeks! Anyway, it makes more sense to me (to spend this much time, money and effort on rabbits) than to go out every Saturday and hit a ball across a finely mowed field and then walk a couple hundred yards just to hit it again. :? Oh well, different strokes, I guess.

The trip has been put on hold due to a funeral conflict. Might be next month before I can go again. :angry:

I am contemplating a trio... still going back and forth and I need to do some more research. I am sure we are at least relatively close to your route, if not it wouldn't be a huge issue to head to VA...

Well, we did it. At the last minute, a day unexpectedly became available to make the worldwind trip after rabbits. I realized that traveling across country on a tight schedule with limited sleep ain't as easy as it once was (anybody remember a hit song from Roy Clarke called "Yesterday when I was young"). We left Virginia around 5:30 pm and charged down to the west side of Atlanta and stayed in a hotel. Figured we could miss rush hour traffic if we were on the west side of town headed outbound the next morning. That part worked great; hardly any traffic leaving Atlanta at 7 am. We had a tight schedule and wanted to be at the rabbitry around 8 am, so we sacrificed a lot of sleep (didn't check in until 1:00 am). Everything worked pretty good until we crossed into Alabama and suddenly realized that we entered another time zone. So suddenly, we were an hour early. We were almost sickened by the fact that we had wasted an extra hour of sleep.
Anyway, it was a fascinating operation to see and we both enjoyed talking to the owner. His operation is professional, clean and well organized. Apparently we weren't the craziest rabbit raisers he's ever encountered, though. He's had folks much further away than Virginia drive down to buy stock (that made us feel a lot better about what all we invested in these things). I won't share any more information over the forum about it though because I got the feeling that he appreciates his privacy (as I would if I were in his shoes). I could live to be a hundred and die a happy camper working a rabbitry like that!
We should be breeding around April and will be keeping detailed records on growth. Will keep you posted!!!

So far, I have to say that I am pretty well satisfied with these buns. Although I have not weighed them, I am very satisfied with how they appear to be growing. Better yet, I'm amazed at their temperment. I expected commercial rabbits to be total zombies but they seem to really like people. The buck is probably one of the top 3 most friendly rabbits that I have ever had. He doesn't simply just like being petted, he actually nuzzles my wrist when I'm feeding/watering until I stop and pet him. I haven't held him but I think I'm going to start picking him up regularly. It's kind of strange though. As many rabbits as I have raised and butchered, I never once got attached to any of them. But this guy is different. I must be getting old! My wife says he knows that I rescued him from the slaughterhouse and bought him a harem, so he is just showing his appreciation.
So the question is this: What are the odds of his personality changing significantly as he matures and becomes the lead stud? I'd hate to see him change but I can't wait for spring to get here and start breeding them. Soon, I'll get some pics posted. :oops:

So glad you are enjoying them!!

The buck I bought from a lady is the sweetest guy, too... she had him spoiled! He will nudge and nuzzle for attention as well. She held him a lot, but I haven't much...

What are the odds of his personality changing significantly as he matures and becomes the lead stud? I'd hate to see him change but I can't wait for spring to get here and start breeding them.

The chances of a BIG change are between slim and none. Any of my bucks that start out friendly and wanting of attention usually get worse! :p (they know who brings the girls to them) :mrgreen: I've never had one get standoffish as they grow older. That is, until the time comes that they move on.

Homer":31iiglka said:
What are the odds of his personality changing significantly as he matures and becomes the lead stud? I'd hate to see him change but I can't wait for spring to get here and start breeding them.

The chances of a BIG change are between slim and none. Any of my bucks that start out friendly and wanting of attention usually get worse! :p (they know who brings the girls to them) :mrgreen: I've never had one get standoffish as they grow older. That is, until the time comes that they move on.

Homer, I'd say you're right. He has successfully sired a litter now and there are 3 more litters on the way. He is obviously mature and just gets more friendly every day. I've never seen such an attention loving buck! Can't wait to see how the offspring mature.

Latest posts

Back