Pulled our first nest box

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mwr885

Reaction score
This is our first litter of NZW's and we pulled out the nest box today (15 days) and replaced it with some hay to snuggle into.

My question is: Mama keeps flopping on the kits now, is this something to be concerned about or does everyone just need to get used to the new living arrangement?

What are the dimensions of the box? In my experience, a doe has never just hung out in the box unless it was too big.

I would consider bringing the box inside and taking it out twice a day for feedings. Mama lying on the kits could be very bad.

I agree with Marinea... I've never seen a doe start hanging out in the nest box after two weeks, just because the bedding got changed. :shock:

At 15 days, the kits are more mobile and such, but they're still pretty little. I'd be concerned they might get hurt.

It'll be fun keeping the little rascals contained, but it's probably the best option. Be advised that kits can climb like crazy, even that early.

I'm not sure I've understood this--the original post says that the nest box was removed and replaced by a pile of hay for 15 day old kits to snuggle in and that the doe is flopping on them. The responses are about the size of the nest box which I understood to be gone. (But I just got up and may not be quite awake yet)
If the nest box is gone and doe and kits are all preferring the hay pile as a place to sleep, I think of a couple of options. Does the doe have a hung bucket she uses? If so put some hay in that and maybe she'll enjoy getting away from the kits. The other option would be to put in a something with an opening only big enough for kits, so they could huddle together for warmth without being flopped upon. Don't know about your weather but ours has suddenly gone from unusually warm to very cold--even the highs below freezing for a few days here.

Rainey":1esphcc7 said:
I'm not sure I've understood this--the original post says that the nest box was removed and replaced by a pile of hay for 15 day old kits to snuggle in and that the doe is flopping on them. The responses are about the size of the nest box which I understood to be gone. (But I just got up and may not be quite awake yet)
If the nest box is gone and doe and kits are all preferring the hay pile as a place to sleep, I think of a couple of options. Does the doe have a hung bucket she uses? If so put some hay in that and maybe she'll enjoy getting away from the kits. The other option would be to put in a something with an opening only big enough for kits, so they could huddle together for warmth without being flopped upon. Don't know about your weather but ours has suddenly gone from unusually warm to very cold--even the highs below freezing for a few days here.

The weather here has stayed pretty mild and the pens are in the garage anyway, so they stay about the same temp as the house. I checked on them a few time throughout the night and I think I may have been overly concerned, mom and the babies tossed all the hay outside ended up snuggled in a big bunny pile in the opposite corner. They seem to have it figured out now. Sorry for the alarm and the unclear post! haha :oops:

Back