English Shepherds? Something else... I have no idea!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anyone have experience with the breed? One of the guys at DH's work breeds them and it came up in conversation that we are possibly looking for another dog. I'm still torn on a purebred something, or a mix. And what exactly I am wanting with our next dog to help narrow down breeds (what type of "work" and also companion). Our other dogs have been serendipitous you could say ;) :lol: I have never "shopped" for a dog - there's a lot more pressure there! I would love one of MSD's pups, not sure I am going to be able to convince DH though due to the cost and logistics.

Although, these little cuties sure are tempting. I wonder how they would turn out given the types that went into them...

http://greensboro.craigslist.org/pet/5490805294.html

No experience personally, but I did see a post on FB where someone was going to cross those breeds- and the thread exploded with comments about how poor of a cross it is. Sometimes you'll get a decent dog out of it, but that is just luck.

Pyrs are guarding dogs- they don't "move" the herd- whereas moving livestock is just what Aussies are bred to do. The two abilities don't meld in the dogs, so you have a dog with conflicting instincts... herding behavior is basically hunting without the fatal end.

MamaSheepdog":3rzgnq4m said:
No experience personally, but I did see a post on FB where someone was going to cross those breeds- and the thread exploded with comments about how poor of a cross it is. Sometimes you'll get a decent dog out of it, but that is just luck.

Pyrs are guarding dogs- they don't "move" the herd- whereas moving livestock is just what Aussies are bred to do. The two abilities don't meld in the dogs, so you have a dog with conflicting instincts... herding behavior is basically hunting without the fatal end.

That's kind of what I was wondering - seeing that the breeds are known for totally different jobs. It would be interesting to be able to get into their brain to see what was going on... does one override the other? Do they have conflicting urges on what to do with animals?

Our one dog, ODS's pup, is a Jack Russell/Heeler mix. She's a rock star herder, but doesn't always know when to stop (it is fascinating to watch! DH told me about it first b/c any time she even looked at the chickens I panicked and intervened so she wouldn't go near them. He, being a very laid back personality, let her go a time or two, just to see what she would do :x . Finally I got up the nerve to just let her go one evening and it was amazing! But if a chicken starts panicking for whatever reason, a switich flips in her brain I think and her demeanor totally changes). Her sister? She wiped out 10 of my chickens real fast :x :evil: . She went to live on a horse farm with an older gentleman with full disclosure of what she had been doing.

Back