Air transport advice

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiny Buns

Reaction score
Since driving 26 hrs round trip is out of the question for my buyer, thoughts on shipping an 8 week old rabbit by air as cargo? 3 hr flight, no food or water allowed. One plane change.

I've never done it and not sure how I feel about it.

Advice please?

Everything I have seen or read about this is that it doesn't work very well. The bunnies are extremely stressed and that can easily lead to weakened immune system. But I have never done it myself and have no personal experience to go off of......just what I have seen here that others have shared. I think if you decide to try it you just need to understand the risk and realize it might not end well, and if you are ok with trying it then go for it. If you do decide to I wish you the best of luck, and you should share whatever the experience and outcome is:)

I have had rabbits shipped to me once. It was not a big deal and I would consider doing it again for very special stock. However, shipping one 8 week old your buyer will probably find the cost prohibitive and such a young rabbit probably would be stressed. You will need a specific carrier (a solid top is required) and probably a health certificate from a veterinarian. Here is an article that may help you & your buyer decide: http://www.thenaturetrail.com/rabbit-sa ... -shipment/

Personally the more I read and talked to people at the airlines, the more I began to think it's a bad idea to ship such a young rabbit, alone in a carrier for over 6 hrs with no food or water. I ended up telling her I wasn't comfortable with the idea so I lost the sale. Shrugs.

I dont see any difference in stress-level with air (6hours) or car (26hours) travel. For a kit of that age neither is an option, but an adult would prefer 6 hours without food than 26 on the car even with food and water. You must also be very careful with choosing an airline, many of them don`t have(or it is not turned on) heating in cargo and those temperatures could kill an animal of any species.`

Back