Why to be careful with colonied rabbits

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ladysown

Staff member
Reaction score

after two weeks of remedial care was discovered to be caused by this:

This was the case of one buck and two does being housed in an 8 x 10 area. which SHOULD be big enough for three rabbits but wasn't.

Needed to talk a rabbit friend through the care for two weeks to get that rabbit back on track.

rabbit friend didn't know.

He got the rabbits from a person who said "The colony isn't going well for me...these are the last three left.. want them"? Added to be clear here: They were in a box and he had not seen them, just took them.

So he took them and when moving them into a large dog kennel for the night said "oops something not right".
Fired those pics off at me and i said one of two things.. result of a fight or bad bad fur mites. Took some time to discover what the cause was since doe was frightened and care was as least stressful as he could make it be.

we both are doing the "let's not be really really angry and just be glad she's in safety now". the other doe and buck are living together easily with kits expected any day.

It's very important to keep a close eye on colony rabbits. I see people say all the time that its a hands-off approach. I disagree with that. Colony rabbits need just as much attention as caged rabbits. I'm glad your friend was able to get these rabbits and provide the care their previous owner wasn't prepared to give.

AprilW":35xbd8km said:
It's very important to keep a close eye on colony rabbits. I see people say all the time that its a hands-off approach. I disagree with that. Colony rabbits need just as much attention as caged rabbits. I'm glad your friend was able to get these rabbits and provide the care their previous owner wasn't prepared to give.
exactly... and-- it is more difficult for a doe caged by herself to get wounds like that.

Latest posts

Back