STOP DIGGING THE LITTER OUT OF THE TRAY

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Courta19

Reaction score
I AM SO FED UP!!! The white lop looking at the camera is the culprit. For the past two weeks, she makes a huge mess like this WITHOUT FAIL. Part of me thinks getting her spayed will help the issue but then if I drop $200 on that and nothing changes, then what then?

I was wondering if anyone out there has tips and secret tricks to combatting a rabbit who loves to dig litter. I will literally try anything, someone please help me out.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_4691.jpg
    IMG_4691.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 1,239
I would make a grate out of rabbit floor wire to go over the shavings in the pan. She wont be able to dig and it will also keep the rabbits from coming into contact with their urine and feces.

Preitler":xlhd3zhj said:
Well, sorry, that may not help you, but my approach on that issue is to just let them dig where they can...
Oh, that's funny, Preitler... all you can see is the bunny's tail! :lol:

MamaSheepdog":xlhd3zhj said:
I would make a grate out of rabbit floor wire to go over the shavings in the pan. She wont be able to dig and it will also keep the rabbits from coming into contact with their urine and feces.
This is what I would do. I have a disabled rabbit who lives in a carrier (lid off during the day). I made a floor for it from scrap wire. Enough to bend a U shape that you can turn over U down into the tray, with the litter under it should do the trick. Floor wire is 1" x 1/2", 16 gauge or 14 gauge. Make the sides about 2" high so you have enough room for the litter. :)

I have the same problem with my buck. Any exposed litter will be dug up. My solution has been to place an half an inch to a full inch thick layer of hay on top of the litter. Since it's not dirt my bun doesn't dig it and it gives him a nice excuse to sit in the litter box and munch hay while he's leaving a pile of berries. Once hay becomes soiled (every couple days) I add a just a bit more for munching and to keep them off the layer of berries.

Harliquin_Rabbit":2ds5b6rs said:
I have the same problem with my buck. Any exposed litter will be dug up. My solution has been to place an half an inch to a full inch thick layer of hay on top of the litter. Since it's not dirt my bun doesn't dig it and it gives him a nice excuse to sit in the litter box and munch hay while he's leaving a pile of berries. Once hay becomes soiled (every couple days) I add a just a bit more for munching and to keep them off the layer of berries.
That reminds me of this litter box/hay munch tray: http://petdiys.com/diy-rabbit-hay-tray/

The bolts keep the rabbit from getting into and soiling the hay that is not in the litter box. :)

Latest posts

Back