Betta Fish Care?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZachsRabbits

Reaction score
Does anybody know an easy betta fish setup that isn't that hard to clean. I have always had big 20 gallon long tanks that were a pain to clean. Also what do you feed your bettas and how often do you do water changes? Do they need heaters?

Most complex fish question you could ask. There are as many ways to keep bettas as people keeping bettas and of course plenty disagree with each other. You have a similar division between those only keeping pets and those breeding as you do with many mammals. The accepted way to house them is entirely different. Then you have some influences from their native countries and the way they are kept there. It is best to visit betta forums and look at lots of pages to see what you might prefer. If you want to keep a larger tank you can often put betta in a community tank if you keep the filtration on the lower end and break up the current with plants and rocks. You can sometimes keep an entire tank of female betta but you have to keep the correct number in the correct size tank and sometimes you run into one that just doesn't work.

I have a betta in a 10 gallon aquarium, no heater and I feed him betta pellets I got from Walmart. He has a very resilient platy (has lived through several outbreaks of ick) and some golden mystery snail in the tank with him. I have also kept bettas in 1 gallon bowls, but then you have to change the water more often. In the 10 gallon I don't really change the water much just the filter plus I add water when it starts to evaporate.

Please note I am no fish expert and have killed many a fish in my days :oops: but the bettas I have been able to keep alive longer than most. This is just what I do.

Some say heaters necessary, some say not, some say no smaller than a 5g, some keep them in half gallon containers, some insist on a filter, some say it's unnecessary... and on and on... It all changes the exact amount and type of care they need.

I've kept bettas in the past, usually in those really tiny fishbowls with the fluted rims. "Back in the day" the story was that keeping them in very little water replicated their habitat in rice paddies. The story was that the water would evaporate, leaving small puddles of water, which is why the males are so aggressive- they needed to protect that tiny living space from other fish.

I don't know how valid those claims are, but my bettas seemed to do quite well that way, living for several years with no health issues. That said, I have no idea how long their lifespan is, and for all I know they all died before their time. :?

Something like 5years depending on breeding. Rice paddies are actually huge bodies of water so even if shallow not really comparable but in what situation do we actually manage to replicate the wilderness a pet originally came from?

Back