New Nest Box??

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baefull.wolfbunnies

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So, hubby came home with a defunct automatic paper towel dispenser and took it apart. The shell where the towels and machinery go would make a great nest box (I think). However first off it is plastic, second while there are slots and holes in the "back" (now bottom) of the shell I'm not sure that Popples would be safe. Overall its about the size of a small dog kennel.

2016-02-24 20.31.37 (2).jpg
2016-02-24 20.32.01 (2).jpg
2016-02-24 20.31.51 (2).jpg

Don't know if it would be large enough for the mother to get in and out of. Hard to tell from the pictures. Have you measured the space to see? It would hold up well and would be easy to clean. Some of the holes seem to be large enough for a kit to slip through, but as long as it isn't moved around that might be ok. For me I pull the nest every so often to check the kits over. Some mothers get cranky when they see you fiddling in their nest. :x :lol: :lol: My chin doe for sure.

Measurments are

Outside
16 inches long
9.5 inches at largest part
8.75 inches at shortest part
11.25 inches at widest portion
11 inches at thinnest portion (near opening)

Opening (where the motion sensor assembly and paper towels came out) before cutting
9 inches lengthwise on top section
1.75 inches wide on top section
5.25 inches wide on face
3.5 inches tall on face
.5 x 8.75 inches area where the paper towel came out

After cutting (most likely)
Taking the 1.75 inches of plastic that held the motion sensor assembly off the front to square up the opening

Inner
8 inches tall near opening
9 inches tall at tallest section
6.5 inches tall at smallest section
11.25 inches wide at widest section
11 inches wide at smallest section

Holes on bottom
1.25 X 3 inch square hole near front
1 inch round holes near middle
various slits for screws and what not.

If you need better pics let me know. I can try to take better ones, but not sure if RT will let me post them.

You should be able to post more pictures. What type of rabbits are you raising?
My nest boxes for my 10-11Lb does are:
16''L x 10''W x 8'' T with a front height of 3 1/2''.
There is just enough room for them and the kits for a short time, but not enough so the doe thinks she can lay with them.

Hope this helps,
Cathy

The reason I'm not sure if RT will let me post pictures is even my phone camera set on lowest resolution I have to heavily edit to get it onto RT.

My Does are Beverens. My Buck is a Cinnamon.

I think they will be just big enough for them without encouraging them to lay down.

After posting this I realized that my buns had plastic dishes for both food and water for a while before I decided to use ceramic for weight, they used to throw the dishes around.

I guess my main question is "Will the Plastic be sanitary for the kits?"

Should be. For the most part plastic is easily cleaned. I'd be more concerned about them chewing it. If they do it could cause sharp edges. Other than that, as long as the size it right, they should work nicely.

Latest posts

Back