Livestock options?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
We are going to be fencing in a small section that is currently cow pasture... I really really don't want to have to mow it. Any smaller livestock options that are just grazers that would respect an electric fence strand? We are moving the chickens there - have the coop all done... we are going to possibly have a rotating yard for them, but it's long and narrow so they won't run the whole span. I would say 1/8th of an acre?

Rabbit colony ;) ;) <br /><br /> __________ Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:34 am __________ <br /><br /> or tractors, bunny and or chicken, or ducks! Yes ducks. I don't like ducks myself, unless they belong to someone else lol.

Deer Heart":3efh84tf said:
geese. Some folks swear by them as "lawn mowers".

If I could keep them contained to that area I wouldn't mind one bit! There are some beautiful breeds out there... But I really don't want to add geese poop to the mix in our yard - chickens are bad enough :roll: . I need something larger that could be kept in by the electric fence, but not need huge amounts of space like a cow. I don't think goats or sheep would work, and likely not pigs, but I know certain breeds behave different than others so maybe I am mistaken?

imajpm":9yw5g2h9 said:
Yes ducks. I don't like ducks myself, unless they belong to someone else lol.

I love my ducks- they quack me up! :p :tomato:

But they aren't making much of a dent on the grass. Granted, I only have six of them, but they just aren't that voracious.

Is your pasture mostly grass, or does it have lots of brushy plants? Sheep are grazers, so would love a grassy pasture. Get katadin or other meat sheep if you don't want the hassle of shearing.

Goats are browsers that will graze, but much prefer brush... or your rosebushes, blackberry vines, etc. ;) I am not sure how respectful goats would be of a hot wire- some are true escape artists.

Another option might be American Guinea Hogs! Mine don't graze much when we let them out, but I think that is mostly because I bought them from someone who fed hog pellets- which, by the way, is a big no-no unless you want incredibly fat AGH! I feed mine mostly boiled potatoes and kitchen scraps.

They are supposed to like hay, but mine wont eat that either, unless I "cook" the hay in the potato water or soak alfalfa pellets and mix with their taters.

That said, if you can find someone that raises theirs on pasture, I bet they would do very well. They are not big "rooters" so are not terribly hard on the land compared to most pigs.

imajpm":3bef0zr4 said:
Rabbit colony ;) ;)

__________ Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:34 am __________

or tractors, bunny and or chicken, or ducks! Yes ducks. I don't like ducks myself, unless they belong to someone else lol.

I'm being a total cheapskate and don't want to have to add more fencing to the electric wire that we're putting up for the cows :roll: . I hope to have a rotating area for the chickens using chain link panels, but it's a long, skinny section so I won't have anything for the far end.

heritage":3kyltt1f said:
I'm being a total cheapskate and don't want to have to add more fencing to the electric wire that we're putting up for the cows :roll: . I hope to have a rotating area for the chickens using chain link panels, but it's a long, skinny section so I won't have anything for the far end.

Hmm just electric fence? Hehe I've not had cows personally but that ought to be interesting. Well I think you may be out of luck. Can't think of anything small that could be held in by electric only. I do have some large wild grassy areas that I weed eat once or twice a year. I let that sun dry, then collect it, stack it up and feed it to the rabbits.

I would also say sheep. They are grazers and among many breeds you could definitely fins small and low maintenance one. Don˙t know what is wrong with "just electric fencing", it works really well for my sheep and compared to goats, sheep don`t keep testing if there is electricity in there - it strikes them once or twice and that is it. I had it turned off all winter and they always kept their distance.

Oh oops that was a bit of a blanket statement wasnt it? I was thinking about the one/two strand cattle electric. There are so many possibilities for electric.

I was thinking sheep as well. Maybe meat sheep to keep things easy.
Sheep are much more docile than goats. Lamb sells for pretty high prices in markets..I know first hand it can be quite tasty.

imajpm":7av9u0z8 said:
heritage":7av9u0z8 said:

Hmm just electric fence? Hehe I've not had cows personally but that ought to be interesting. Well I think you may be out of luck. Can't think of anything small that could be held in by electric only. I do have some large wild grassy areas that I weed eat once or twice a year. I let that sun dry, then collect it, stack it up and feed it to the rabbits.

As in, keeping the cows contained being interesting? It's actually what they have now, and it works well, when it works :roll: . DH's gpa moved the old fence "temporarily" when he graded the yard at our old house and just pieced wire together... after 10 years it keeps breaking at the bent "connections." We plan on doing the whole line at one time to prevent that.

honestly I'd go with sheep if it's good grass. Goats don't like eating "off the ground" they prefer woody "brush" plants about "knee high" at the shortest. Will kill full grown trees if they can get a footing on the trunk (goats prefer to "eat upwards"). Maybe Dexter cows? (mini moomoos) Alpaca or llama are great fiber animals but I have no idea how well they treat electric fences.

I was leaning toward sheep maybe, but wasn't sure about the fencing. I dream of alpacas someday, but we have a while for that I think. DH is actually considering a horse in the future, once our savings is built up to where he wants it...

Horses are very selective. You'll end up with a bunch of weeds and areas of tall grass and then areas that are eaten to the roots in the same pasture. I love my horses but wouldn't suggest them for what you're wanting. Maybe in combination with a different type of grazer.

heritage":3mt63qqc said:
As in, keeping the cows contained being interesting? It's actually what they have now, and it works well, when it works :roll: . DH's gpa moved the old fence "temporarily" when he graded the yard at our old house and just pieced wire together... after 10 years it keeps breaking at the bent "connections." We plan on doing the whole line at one time to prevent that.

Haha well good! I have a bad case of cow paranoia. Dunno how many times I got invited to a "sleepover" just to chase cows all over the wilderness lol. Plus my neighbor here, got 5 and some bozo told him that if he let them loose they would come home. He let them loose a few hours after he got them :x and after they were through rampaging though all the neighbors properties, they vanished, possibly into a few freeezers...

Don't mind me either. I have a tone problem when writing and I know it.

imajpm":3kt0vnm0 said:
heritage":3kt0vnm0 said:

Haha well good! I have a bad case of cow paranoia. Dunno how many times I got invited to a "sleepover" just to chase cows all over the wilderness lol. Plus my neighbor here, got 5 and some bozo told him that if he let them loose they would come home. He let them loose a few hours after he got them :x and after they were through rampaging though all the neighbors properties, they vanished, possibly into a few freeezers...

Don't mind me either. I have a tone problem when writing and I know it.

Oh trust me, I've done my fair share of chasing, but it's usually b/c of DH's dingbat uncle or cousins leaving their gate open at the end of their drive. I hear a knock from someone passing by to tell me they are out in the road :x . There is one cow that is the worst to try and get up. Stubborn thing. MIL and I chased her for over an hour one day (passing my youngest child back and forth since I couldn't leave her at home, and obviously couldn't push a stroller through the woods or anything :roll: )... finally a neighbor passing by lent a hand and we got her up. She was the one out the other day and I thought I was in for it b/c she started to bolt, but I was able to spook her enough she decided int he gate was a better option that my ILs yard.

Well, I know for a fact if horses get out they will sometimes go home. I had an old mare, I think she was 18 at the time. I had literally ridden her all over the country so she knew her way around. Dad had them pastured a couple of miles from his house on lease place that didn't have real good fencing. During a storm some of the fencing was damaged and the horses found the breaks before Dad. He got a call that the horses were on the road so went to catch them. He found my old mare walking calmly down the side of the road with one of the other mares. She was already about a mile from where she was pastured and was obviously headed toward his house. She was headed "home".

The funny thing was the other horses had gone an entirely different direction and he had to actually saddle another horse and ride back in the pine plantations to even find them. Not my old mare. She knew where she was and where she was headed. There were several times when I was out riding and got turned around. I could always let her choose her own path and she would get me home. The path might be right through a thicket but we would make it lol. I missed that old girl. I had to have her PTS a few years ago. She was 28.

Deer Heart":11oeg1lh said:
geese. Some folks swear by them as "lawn mowers".

Geese can be wonderful or they can be a disaster. Pilgrim geese have the nicest natures. The females are mellow (maybe a hiss or two when on the nest, but that's all) and the ganders are only moderately aggressive during the breeding season. They will keep an area mowed but they tend to avoid overgrown areas. They like to nibble shorter grasses so are good for maintenance. I've had geese since 2005. We're down to one now, Elsie, aged 10. She hangs out with the chickens since her mate died. She is very sweet. I'd get her a companion, but geese can live up to 20 years and I'm 65 . . . You do the math!

Ok so if you want Lawn Mowers... Sheep are it. But... They will not obey just strictly electric fence. If they are wool breeds they wont even feel the electricity hitting them at all. you would need proper fencing for them.

Maybe Llamas or Alpacas?

Back