Biting Buck

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JudyM

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
I am new to this bunny business and have had trouble getting my questionably blind buck and proven doe to breed. Well tonight they apparently mated 3 times and it looked like along with or just prior to the fall off, the buck bit the doe, all three times. The third time the doe screamed. I'm thinking this isn't normal buck behavior. I 'm also thinking that the doe might be a little tense about breeding again. Please tell me I'm wrong!

It's hard to say, Judy. Some rabbits have long memories and hold grudges . . . others not so much.

It sounds as though the breeding was successful though. If you get kits from it, I suggest you save the best, nicest young buckling from it with a view to using him for future breeding. I suspect, though, that by the time you breed your doe to him again she will have forgotten that bit of roughness.

some bucks are VERY rough with the does. I personally don't keep bucks that are like that as there is no need for them to be so rough.

A lot of bucks will bite the nape of the neck of does. I don't think the doe will have any problems in the future- he may have nipped just a bit too hard that time, but she also may have just been done with his amorous attentions.

Rabbits don't always scream out of fear or pain- quite a few of us have bucks that are "screamers" and scream after they fall off. :lol:

ladysown":kb1c6fsr said:
I personally don't keep bucks that are like that as there is no need for them to be so rough.

A friend of mine has a buck who is very aggressive with the ladies and will NOT take no for an answer. If she has a doe that wont lift for other bucks, in with him she goes and he gets the job done.

Biting the nape of the neck or small of the back is normal. He probably just nipped a little too hard.

Not my favorite buck behavior, but more work-with-able then a buck who just wants to cuddle...

Wow, so it may have been the buck that screamed? I just figured it was the doe after being bitten. It's good to know that this happens. I was planning on losing him and keeping a buckling as was suggested but maybe I'll keep him "if all else fails."
It was really weird how he really didn't pay much attention to her the first 3 times I had her in with him. He smelled her, chased her a few times and laid down. Never tried to mount. Is it possible he knew she wasn't ready? Maybe her scent was off?
Thanks so much for your responses!

JudyM":2f74tp6k said:
It was really weird how he really didn't pay much attention to her the first 3 times I had her in with him. He smelled her, chased her a few times and laid down. Never tried to mount. Is it possible he knew she wasn't ready? Maybe her scent was off?

Yes, that is quite possible. Some bucks wont try if the doe is not ready.

I don't see that behavior much in my barn because I check the does for readiness before bringing them to the buck, so usually they lift. Consequently the bucks are conditioned to just get to work- they figure if there is a doe in the cage they are supposed to breed her. :mrgreen:

Since he was so patient the first several times, I would definitely not cull him for aggressive breeding behavior. It sounds to me like he is a good boy.

Latest posts

Back