My holland lop's ears haven't lopped :(

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hummingbird

Reaction score
I am new to bunnies, and I am just a pet owner, but I am trying to learn more...
And I'm a bit concerned about my bunny.
I have a 5 month old holland lop doe that I got from a purebred show breeder...
When I got her at 8 weeks her ears were fully lopped. Then as she started growing, just a few weeks later, they airplaned and often stick straight up to this day, with no sign of going down. She does have pretty short, fat ears.
I do hope they lop because I think the lopped ears are cute.... and she looks kinda funny when they are up.
I also am so confused about why they were lopped before and now they're not.
I'm wondering how I can tell if she has a narrow crown or if she is just in a funny growth phase... how can I tell if they ever will lop? I have read a bit about narrow crowns and she doesn't seem to have any other warning signs, like ear placement and curling, and her ears are supposedly the perfect shape (short, fat and fall right below her chin). Her head does seem a little small, but she is still growing, and I think her un-lopped ears distort the way her head looks.
Thanks!

Holland lops are funny.

They can have completely lopped ears at five weeks, be airplaning by three months and be lopped again up to 11-13 months. (go figure).

They can be NOT lopping at all by 8 weeks and be completely lopped (and stay lopped) by three months.

They can also be completely lopped at 8 weeks and then airplane as an adult or even be upright (or one up and one down).

It all depends on how the head is developing.
The fact that she was lopped as a baby suggests that she'll lop again, you just may need to be patient.

pics???

Some lines of lops can take up to 2 yrs to fully mature build/head wise. With yours, as ladysown has said, they can lop then unlop as they grow and then relop....crown width and placement is key to lopping. A wide through out the top of the head structure is important to get a good lop. If it is narrow or V shaped or really close together l l then lopping is less likely or will take longer. Those that have tight crowns usually have a lop to no lop to lop again experience in my opinion and what I've seen. Pictures would help, one from in front of her face and one above being perfect (straight down above her head). Side picture would also help in seeing placement of her ears. Funny thing is, how people take the standard is an objective opinion...while some things are shared like wide short well boned, ear length and some what of shape is another. I find that babies that don't have at least pointer and middle finger width crowns have tight crowns or ending up having lesser crowns as adults. I check this at 8-12 weeks of age, BUT I know what my working line does. Other lines, could be completely different and not even start to show their true width until 4-6 months of age before going through another ugly stage... Did you get to see parents or siblings? Did the breeder point out why yours was being sold as a pet? Breeders I personally know will sell those that are not show competitive as pets or ones that aren't at least what they'd consider breeding quality that may have issues with crown, not as thick in limb as like, etc.

Ideal to me wouldn't be that long and would actually be a bit above the jaw line with wide tablespoon ears that are thick and partially cover the eye so there would be an evident prominent crown...but that's for showing too. I bet she is a cutie!

Thanks!
Yes, she is a fuzzy holland lop (an accidental fuzzy from non-fuzzy parents who both carried the wool gene).

I've wondered if there are any other genetic tendencies that tend to come with the fuzzy holland lops, aside from their fur, like maybe something else that has to do with her head and ear development?

I don't think the wool gene is related to crown development. Ears are funny things, I crossed my two best rabbits who both have excellent crown, head and ear, they had three kits: one has a super head, one has a lot of ear control and one looks like a Netherland Dwarf. They are only three months so I still have some waiting and seeing.

Your doe is cute and looks to have more ear control rather than a tight crown. But you'll have to wait and see :)

Thank you!
Yes - she is very playful, quirky and excited... I sometimes wonder if her ears are just up because she's curious all the time... though even when she's sleeping they airplane at best. <br /><br /> __________ Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:42 am __________ <br /><br /> I thought ear control was solely related to a tight crown though?

Not always, I have a doe that did well on the show table who holds her ears in weird ways but her crown is nice. Sometimes ear issues are a combination of things.

My baby is about to be 7 weeks and her ears havent dropped yet . can someone please look at the picture im gonna post and tell me if she has a good crown or not ? I dont know how to tell lol

Attachments

• 12705486_572636039558220_3233168698587274213_n.jpg
    12705486_572636039558220_3233168698587274213_n.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 5,351
Welcome to Rabbit talk.

Next time please start a new thread rather than reviving an old one ;)

I would say her ears won'tlop but as stated above, sometimes it can take months

Personally my lops have their ears down by 6 weeks or earlier (kits in picture are 4 weeks old :) )but I have Mini Lops and not Hollands

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    237.5 KB · Views: 5,345
It's about the same Dood, ones with better crowns lop earlier. If they don't lop by 12 weeks for me (if that's the deciding factor is their crown), out they go for brood or pet for some one else. I want to be able to show a promising junior after all as a junior or have a nice senior be able to show and not have them dq'd for having poor ears. They will usually lop by 6 months of age, if they are going to, however I've seen some lop later at a year. I would not do some things that I've seen suggested to "help" them lop, like weighting or taping their ears.

cassidy

can't tell what the crown is like from a head long position. Her ears looked space wide enough apart that they will eventually lop. my guess... somewhere between 4-8 months.

Thanks everyone for the info you guys gave me hope lol :) all her brothers & sisters have already lopped . So hopefully she will too , Shes very tiny . So maybe thats a reason they havent yet , she was the smallest of them all . I dont really understand the whole crown thing ether .

But thank you everyone :) <br /><br /> __________ Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:54 pm __________ <br /><br /> People actually tape them down ???

Back