Personalities?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZachsRabbits

Reaction score
I have my Jersey Herd Buck who is a very nice typed rabbit but he loves to nip me when I try to pose and groom him. He has a I'm in charge personality. I just can't stand this buck because of it. Would I be crazy to get rid of this rabbit because of it?

People have gotten rid of rabbits for less, and it's ok for you to do so, especially if it's affecting your attitude towards him. You have the choice of which personalities you want to work with and breed into your program:)

i'd be tossing him on his kister as well.. BUT I would tell his new people about this habit of his BEFORE they buy him. Be upfront.

But personally.. rabbits that bite go into the freezer around here.. it's not worth the risk to me to sell a rabbit that bites.

Nipping sounds like a disciplinary bite.
As in, him disciplining you for something he dislikes.
If he ever gets his way, it reinforces the behavior and the nipping become more frequent, since it's self rewarding. In effect, anyone who has ever responded the way he wanted by pulling hands back or leaving him alone has helped teach him TO nip.

One of the big dividing lines between acceptable and work-withable to me is if the animal draws blood intentionally. A rabbit that will intentionally break my flesh with it's teeth goes strait to freezer camp.

If they nip to tell me something, then they are trying to communicate socially, and should be able to get the gist of me telling them that's not how it works. :D

You might try handling him more securely, and not allowing any chance for nipping, He needs to learn you can and will firmly (but gently) keep him in position and not allow any biting until he surrenders to the situation.

Of course, terminally culling his always an option. Selling is OK to the right person, but I wouldn't suggest doing so without a full disclosure. Not a good choice for petting out.

It IS really tough to responsibly sell an animal like this. It's a huge negative when you breed strictly for pet sales. You do have to be upfront but my conscious never allows me to sell animals that don't exhibit good pet behavior, just can't do it here. So culling is the best option for us.

Nipping you might be able to train out of him. I have worked around animals for 33 years and been actually bitten twice. If it is a real bite you will know it...my rabbit nips my socks but not bare feet simply because she does not realize there is flesh under the fabric. The times I was bitten were entirely different.

A.vet professor told me animals that bite have to be put down. If he is biting you your hand should be bloody and feel like it is on fire. If it is nips I would try startle training him with a noise can if otherwise he has a good personality and physical features.

You could always attempt to work with him and see if he mellows out and stops nipping.
But its your choice :)
My ND used to always nip, but not anymore because I worked with her a lot :p

Latest posts

Back