Register

Freezing Bunny Meat Question

One recipe per topic, please, to allow for comments and tweaking.
Site Supporter
2 years of membership2 years of membership
United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 1,780.00

Freezing Bunny Meat Question

Post Number:#1  Unread postby karebru » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:16 pm

I have 6 dress-outs from yesterday resting in the fridge. My vacuum sealer is ready to go when I butcher them. I would like to grind some and maybe try making some sausage, but it might be a week or two before I get a grinder. Is it safe to freeze the meat, thaw it, grind it, then refreeze it?
Thanks! :)

Site Supporter
3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 13,766.00

Re: Freezing Bunny Meat Question

Post Number:#2  Unread postby alforddm » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:39 pm

Just leave it in the fridge as long is it's stored so that it doesn't dry out it will be fine.

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 56,220.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby Miss M » Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:42 pm

It should be safe to freeze, thaw and grind, and refreeze. Most of the issue with thawing and refreezing has to do with texture, but you are destroying the original texture by grinding anyway.

I don't think you actually have to completely thaw to grind, either. I think somebody said it grinds best when it's still partially frozen?
Sithrah Farm - http://sithrahfarm.com/

We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
- James Madison

3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 287.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby Featherhoof » Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:02 am

If the grinder is on the weaker side (like the grinder attachment on my stand mixer) it is better to grind when partially frozen. When using an actual electric grinder strong enough to grind wild game, it's much easier to not freeze it first.

The following user would like to thank Featherhoof for this post
Miss M

Site Supporter
1 year of membership
Male
BunnyBucks: 1,131.00

Post Number:#5  Unread postby SoDak Thriver » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:13 am

If you grind it frozen and put it right back in the freezer, it will probably still have ice crystals in it during grinding and is perfectly fine to freeze again. Besides, this isn't factory meat that's probably already gone through several freeze/thaw cycles and germ environments before hitting your shopping cart. I would say you have a wider margin for error in handling than store bought meat.
Homeschooling dad of 4 (aged 14, 10, 8, 3), accountant, and rabbit noob apprentice.

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 87,553.00

Post Number:#6  Unread postby MamaSheepdog » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:56 am

Miss M wrote:Most of the issue with thawing and refreezing has to do with texture, but you are destroying the original texture by grinding anyway.

I thought the issue was bacterial growth? :? There is always bacteria present on meat, but when frozen that either slows greatly or stops altogether depending on the particular type of bacteria. When thawed, the bacteria become viable again and start to replicate.

Ground meat is the most dangerous when it comes to bacterial growth because there is so much more surface area- so I definitely would not recommend thawing and refreezing after the meat has been ground... although I imagine that when people combine pork sausage (or other high fat meat) with rabbit, they are probably doing just that? If so, working as quickly as possible and under very sanitary conditions would be of utmost importance.

:hmm: This has got me thinking that if I ever get into sausage making (no grinder here!) that I will reserve the cuts destined to be sausage from my Guinea hogs as whole chunks and grind at the same time as the rabbit...

Thawing a slab of meat and then grinding and refreezing shouldn't pose a problem in my (non FDA sanctioned!) opinion.
Victory Garden Rabbits

Proud new owner of the highly coveted Get-away-with-it-card! (Homer's gift to me in a feeble attempt to curry favor and avoid the ban hammer.)

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery. - Thomas Jefferson

The following user would like to thank MamaSheepdog for this post
karebru