How to sex Guinea hens?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GBov

Reaction score
My little flock of 12 Guinea hens is now about 4 months old and two of them are starting to fight but when the fighting stops, I cant tell one from t'other.

Is there a way to tell boy from girl?

I got 12 so I could try a few for flavor but I dont want to kill any of the actual hens by mistake! I need them to make more. :lol:

Hmmmmmm shall stalk my flock today and see who makes what sound. Of course, having only heard hen calls from the flock, is it poss. to get a lucky dip of 12 hens?

GBov":25k4sb4q said:
Hmmmmmm shall stalk my flock today and see who makes what sound. Of course, having only heard hen calls from the flock, is it poss. to get a lucky dip of 12 hens?

No, that is statistically impossible. However, it is possible and frequently documented that you could get an unlucky dip of 12 roosters! :eek:

Rabbitdog":3p0s5o2t said:
No, that is statistically impossible. However, it is possible and frequently documented that you could get an unlucky dip of 12 roosters! :eek:
:lol:
And here I was, refraining from saying that exact thing. I do know of an instance where someone got 7 straight run, and not a hen in there.

dfr1973":3uh5qdop said:
Rabbitdog":3uh5qdop said:
:lol:
And here I was, refraining from saying that exact thing. I do know of an instance where someone got 7 straight run, and not a hen in there.

I believe that story. It happened to me.
I guess Mom or Dad had set their two kids up on the side of the road to make a few bucks with their extra cockerels . There were several cages of chicks for sale. I asked the teenage girl (Yes... she was cute. :? ) if the silver laced wyandottes were straight-run... "Yes sir, they are!"
I took all seven.
A few weeks later they were all happily crowing.
Serves the old man right, I guess. :oops:

the sound of the hens will drive you absolutely mental and attract every predator that knows the sound. (Buk-ECK Buk-ECK) The boys seem to really only make their sound when there's something upsetting them and they're making warning calls - hens don't seem to ever shut up.
But it is exactly like sexing ducks(before your drakes get their swirly tail feathers on). Boys seem to always sound different from the hens in all poults.

Compare your guinea calls to this;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUHEJnGWecM

Rabbitdog":2xbq3r3s said:
GBov":2xbq3r3s said:

OMG SOOOOOO funny!!! I once hatched 10 eggs and got, guess what? 10 roosters!

I watched and listened really closely and they only seem to make a wark sound. Just a short fast wark and no follow up. Its also almost impossible for me to tell who, in the bunch, has made the sound. Argh this is harder than it needs to be. :lol:

Back