Should I cull him and try again?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GBov

Reaction score
So awhile ago I crossed our FA doe to a Rex buck. Kept two of the kits and got a litter that had two kits with long fur. One looked full Angora and the other one looks like a Rex but with inch and a half long fur. The buck though mats up like crazy. It took a weeks work to get all the mats off him but now, a week later, he is starting to felt up again. Not just his belly but his sides and chest as well.

The doe doesnt mat much at all, just her tail.

I still have the first two.

Should I cull the mat like crazy buck and try again using the other three?

I want the Angora coat but NOT the mats!

If putting pictures on was as easy as emailing them, I would be a power poster! Sadly, I just cant figure out the picture thing. :oops: They get into my phone and then, D'at's all folks.

He is over a year old now so its not his baby coat. His fur seems to be super fine and felts up like a rock. I thought though that if I just got him mat free and let his adult coat grow out he would be alright but nope, he is felting up again. And not just where I would expect him to, like on his belly and butt but all over, even his back.

Tis sad really as he is a lovely boy but his sister only has one mat on her right over her tail. She seems to always be shedding but not tangling.

Am wondering if I really need to continue this FA project, do I need "special needs" bunnies? :lol: <br /><br /> __________ Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:24 pm __________ <br /><br /> Culled both of them this week, I put them together for well over two months and no kits resulted.

I kept the first generation doe - she has kits by her full brother right now - and culled her brother and both FA coated buns.

It was sad but time for them to go. They both had feet like boats so my next time to breed will be a full Rex to the RxFA doe Arabella.

Maybe I can just get huge feet on my Rex instead of super felter angora. :roll:

I don't know but it sounds like the lack of guard hairs from the rex passed on through the angora caused bad felting? that was my first thought reading this.

ohiogoatgirl":1v24aai9 said:
I don't know but it sounds like the lack of guard hairs from the rex passed on through the angora caused bad felting? that was my first thought reading this.

I think you are right. I kept and dried the hide from the second gen buck and while it has really long silky guard hair on the middle that is the only place guard hair seems to be. So while belly, butt, sides and chest area felted up, his back never did.

Next time I will work hard to get really good stock rather than try to breed up my own. It was fun but also a right pita. :lol:

Back