Steel my working line German Shepherd Dog *pic heavyyyyy*

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ipoGSD

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
So here are some pics of Steel. My pride and joy. My dream dog. He's my second GSD. (RIP Apollo 7/19/04 - 04/04/14)

I couldn't be prouder of this pup. Besides how handsome he is, his pedigree is unbelievable. (Besides almost every dog in his pedigree being titled in multiple ipo3's, kkl's, fh1, fh2, he also has 2 wsuv seigers in his immediate pedigree along with some other less known titles) He truly, truly, trulyyyyy is my obsession.

Not sure if anyone believes in fate. But I brought my first gsd Apollo home sept 26th. Which is my deceased grams bday. I truly believe she guided me to him. Well the same goes for steel. I waited and waited for this litter. Then on the day I could pick him up at 8 weeks.. it was sept 26th!!!! I don't think both gsd's coming home on that day is a coincidence. We drove over 8 hrs to pick him up! He's a year and a half now. On his second bday I'll be doing some ofa xrays.

Anyway for all you gsd lovers out there, here are some random pics from different ages in no specific order :)

me and my boy he was about 4 or 5 months in this pic

steels little girl. And Icy my min pin

zombie girl with her devil dog :)

steel and I at IPO training

steels first bday. Of course it had to be a dog patrol theme & party favors lol the cake was made with dog friendly ingredients but delicious to humans too!

the birthday boy

family came to celebrate, about 8 kids and 8 adults

along with all his fur family.. 2 mins pins, chihuahua, yorkie and a shitzu.

ipo training

ipo training. Love his full bite!

his prey drive is out of this world. But his defense drive is even higher!

I love this pic!

ipo training, good focus right here!

Wow! What a sport. I thought my favorites were red with a black saddle but he's gorgeous!!! Are you going to raise any pups off of him??? {hint, hint, hint}

He is gorgeous. :cry: I love the GSD. I prefer the black and sliver, hubby prefers the black and gold. I miss my Dora.

Here's a pic of my baby:
IMAG0047 - Copy - Copy.jpg

Have you ever come across a purebred GSD being born with no tail. :x :p
That was our Dora. She was taken from the breeder, she had been beaten and starved. The breeder claimed no one wanted her and she wasn't worth breeding. They didn't see any reason in taking care of her.

They are the best dogs in my book. Loyal to a fault, loving and forgiving. :lovers:

How long have you been breeding?

I'm not a "breeder" tho if his hips check out. I definitely will stud him out. He is DM clear by parentage. So that's a test I don't need to have done. His parents were hip, elbow, heart, eye, thyroid, dentition tested and both were DM negative.

As for being *born* without a tail. I've never seen it tho I have heard some mother dogs after a pup is born can get carried away and chew off a tail or even leg thinking it's the umbilical cord. So glad you took that beautiful girl. While I agree some dogs aren't breed worthy but everyyyyyyy dog is love worthy. I completely see red when I hear of animal abuse.. If I were to see it in person, I'd lose it and end up in jail.

My taste in the GDS looks have changed thru the years. When I was a kid, I liked the black and tans with a light muzzle. Then the blacks and bi colors. Then I liked the black and reds with a very dark muzzle. Then I liked the coated black and reds with a dark muzzle. Now I'm obsessed with DARK sables. Which is what steel is. When I envisioned having a dark sable, he is what I had in mind. And I got lucky because that's what I got :)
Even wanted the black pencil marks on the toes and my steel has that.

Thank you everyone. He's incredibly intelligent too. Besides training for ipo. He also has 4 titles for being a trick dog. Amongst basic obedience, some of the tricks he can do is pick up his own toys. Bring my shoes. Open his crate, get in it and close his crate. Play dead, roll over, spin, speak, I thought him to search for marijuana and money. (I don't smoke it but I have family that does that's how I got empty bags that smell like it. As for money, I keep it in my pocket along with my phone. Sometimes it falls out and I lose it. So I figured my dog has a great nose, I'll train him to find it lol

If anyone would like to see some of his tricks or him searching for pot or money. Let me know, I'll post the links :)

__________ Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:44 pm __________

OK so I decided to share some videos anyway lol I have Lotssss of videos on my YouTube mostly vids of steel and my other pets. Feel free to look thru them

This is steel searching for money in a highly distractive area. The pet store in the treat/bone aisle. Also him searching for illegal stuffs lol

Watch "Steel trained in finding lost money in dog treats" on YouTube
Steel trained in finding lost money in dog treats: http://youtu.be/HajGqNtN1ZU

Watch "Another short video Steel detection work" on YouTube
Another short video Steel detection work: http://youtu.be/U9rf2n7E5Zg

Fun Tricks!

Steel foos crate plotz and sit up: http://youtu.be/7FwSrhybvOo

Steel tricks backing up and playing dead: http://youtu.be/OjNLhktFAr8

Steel tricks digging when told: http://youtu.be/WWpk3cJ7BZc

Steel fetch to hand and knowing MY shoes: http://youtu.be/XyggtK_AuHc

Steel stealing lol pick pocket trick: http://youtu.be/BEJsuFiApVU (this one is cute. I told him steel were broke and need dog food money, go pick pocket. He barks like OK! LOL

Steel tricks toy clean up: http://youtu.be/7V0hn3OYzZ4

__________ Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:00 pm __________

Rabbitdog, I also loved the black and reds. But about 6 years ago even before I lost my Apollo (coated blk&red) I fell in love with the sables. I remember the first time I saw them I was like wow what's that gsd mixed with? Hahaha

I love all gsd's tho. Imported working lines and American show lines. Tho the differences between an American line and German line are like night and day..only thing in common is their love for their family and the shedding lol

Apollo (American line) he was a great house dog. Very calm and a basic couch potato.

Steel (imported working lines 50% ddr and 50% w.german) is anything but a couch potato. It was such a huge difference bringing him home. We all wondered what we got ourselves into. I've been around a lotttttt of hyper dogs. But hyperness, along with drives that were created to go alllllll day and with super intelligence oh boy.. it was like nothing satisfied him.

He's not as nutty as he was lol, but to this day if he's bored (hes always bored lol) he aggravates our other dogs and our cats. And steals my socks off my feet (I'll admit it, it's cute lol) Which is why I have taught him so much.. trying to feed his mind lol

So if you're looking into getting a gsd. Do your hw. There's huge differences between working lines and American lines. They really should be 2 separate breeds. Like a pitbull and am staff. Essentially they are the same dog but different. <br /><br /> __________ Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:21 pm __________ <br /><br /> Steels pedigree

http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/german_ ... eisenraben

Ahh Steel is gorgeous! I've got one too but he is Czech. Unfortunately he is all prey drive, little defense, pretty much no thresholds, and reactive as well. *sighs* brilliant dog though. Not exactly what I had in mind, but I do love the working lined GSD's.

Naw he is not suited for protection work. He is spooky, anxious under light stress, with zero impulse control. He was evaluated as a "national level" sports dog but breeder misread him entirely. He's reactive. Not sure if you're familiar with reactivity in dogs but it's something that one doesn't really want to experience. They basically lose their mind when triggered and cannot think or hear you, a bit like a panic attack. However, he is a sweet boy and insanely intelligent :)

IMG_9470.JPG
IMG_9471.JPG

He's gorgeous!!! Hmmm reactive hope that isn't steel lol he goes insane when he sees the sleeve but I've been told he has his father's fight drive. Drive vs reactive.. where is the line between them? I don't notice him getting panicked but definitely EXCITED. I guess time will tell lol

So far he seems pretty level headed. Fireworks and whips and gun fire, fire him up. No hesitation or fear. I hope to title him but it's hard for me. I got him and about 4-6 months later was diagnosed with diabetes. Ever since then I'm alwaysssssssss tired.

I got steel as a family dog. Wanted low to med drive. But I HAD to have a male. Well I get an extremely drivey pup and to keep us all from going nuts, I decided he needed a job. Lol it was doing him an injustice because he was truly bred to work. So I got into ipo. I was always interested in it but was always too shy to ever think I could do it. Getting steel helped me overcome that fear. Still shy but I do it :)

I think the difference is that you can stop him, and he hears you, lol I hope. My boy has huge drives as well but the only thing that stops him is increasing the distance (dragging an 85 pound frenzied shepherd is not easy) between him and his trigger which is about 250 ft. It's pretty sad actually. But I have learned more about dog training with this dog, than I have in my entire life so that is good. Pretty sure your Steel is just excited :)

These dogs ARE a huge amount of work though whew! However, I'd not give up that crazy energy for anything. You'd be tired even if you didn't have diabetes! When my boy is on his game and without any triggers he is the flashiest most amazing obedience worker. Snappy, fast and lol, dramatic. Great fun. We were going to do agility but then things began to pop up. Then he lost his ability to travel and that pretty much ended everything. I think my dog is an example of breeding for too much prey drive and not enough stability to balance it. Most of them will hit the mark and then you'll have mine, which is over the line. But he's happy and has a good home and progress comes bit by bit.

Your dog looks great and it sounds like you both are doing well :) It's awesome that Steel is helping you overcome your fears. Amazing what one can do for one's dog :)He is so stunning. I love that super dark sable.

Back