Register

Photos of rabbits in heat distress

Diagnosing and treating rabbit ailments. *Caution! These threads may contain graphic content.*
3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 290.00

Re: Photos of rabbits in heat distress

Post Number:#46  Unread postby 3LilMonkeys » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:39 pm

Hi, I'm new here, just hopped over from ms.m's blog. I also wanted to say that I agree, this post should be stickied forever!
I don't have any rabbits yet, but plan on getting French Angora rabbits for their wool and meat. So glad I stumbled upon 24carrots and through them, found my way here. :D :bunnyhop:

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 56,220.00

Post Number:#47  Unread postby Miss M » Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:26 pm

Hi, 3LilMonkeys, and welcome to RabbitTalk! :welcomewagon: This thread is stickied, and I imagine it will stay that way.

I'm so glad you found my blog, and then this forum! :D

That is my old blog... you can find my new one below in my signature. :)

French Angoras are so beautiful, and so versatile! When do you plan to start?
Sithrah Farm - http://sithrahfarm.com/

We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
- James Madison

Site Supporter
5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 16,633.00

Post Number:#48  Unread postby Mary Ann's Rabbitry » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:18 am

wow.. I hope I never see that in my rabbitry.. thanks msd for sharing

3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 290.00

Post Number:#49  Unread postby 3LilMonkeys » Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:13 pm

Plan on starting in the Spring. I want to go out and buy them now, but that is how I get myself in trouble, and the animals deserve better than unprepared/impulsiveness. I want to be prepared as much as possible before buying any bunnies.
I also plan on getting some American blues for meat rabbits in the future. There is a breeder about an hour from me that is breeding both French Angoras and Americans. 85 for French pedigree, 65 for non pedigree, and 35 for American Blues.

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 87,523.00

Post Number:#50  Unread postby MamaSheepdog » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:12 pm

***Bumping this for those who are new to raising rabbits since summer is upon us once again!***
Victory Garden Rabbits

Proud new owner of the highly coveted Get-away-with-it-card! (Homer's gift to me in a feeble attempt to curry favor and avoid the ban hammer.)

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery. - Thomas Jefferson

The following user would like to thank MamaSheepdog for this post
Susie570

Site Supporter
2 years of membership2 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 2,290.00

Post Number:#51  Unread postby HOWsMom » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:05 pm

Thank you, MSD - this is great info, and I'm going to make sure Bug4H sees it.
George (black Dutch), Chaos (Broken Chocolate Mini Rex buck) & Mischief (Broken Chocolate Mini Rex doe)
Fionn (REW Mini Rex buck) & Ballach (Brk. Black Mini Rex doe) - not shown

Also home to 1 dog, 1 cat, 1 guinea pig, several degus and fish, some kids and a husband

Post Number:#52  Unread postby MamaSheepdog » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:12 pm

HOWsMom wrote:Thank you, MSD

You're welcome. :)

People often have no idea what the problem is when they see their rabbits acting like this, so I hope the post will help save lives.

HOWsMom wrote:I'm going to make sure Bug4H sees it.

Good!
Victory Garden Rabbits

Proud new owner of the highly coveted Get-away-with-it-card! (Homer's gift to me in a feeble attempt to curry favor and avoid the ban hammer.)

BunnyBucks: 1,946.00

Post Number:#53  Unread postby imajpm » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:57 pm

This is very good information. Last week, a few days before our heat wave was due to hit I got an email from a customer who had purchased a buck from me earlier this spring. Just by chance I mentioned ice bottles and he then asked me what they were for. We were only two days away from 105+ heat! I explained and he got his bottles in the freezer in time whew! I am pretty sure he doesn't know what a hot rabbit looks like either. Sometimes it's hard to find pictures that show things that are important to recognize, like heat stress. He is a nice young man, interested in learning, and I've pointed him to various resources including this forum :)

Site Supporter
BunnyBucks: 10,858.00

Post Number:#54  Unread postby FourRingCircus » Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:07 pm

Yes, thank you for bumping this post as a reminder. I got caught off guard our first really hot day and by the time we got back from church I had all 4 does at the back of the house showing some major signs of heat distress.... thankfully I already had bottles in the freezer and a fan ready to go. A little misting and it didn't take them too long to perk back up. I have found my one Creme D'Argent doesn't appear to tolerate the heat well at all. All the others are fine, and she's laid out with her head back (no salivating though, thankfully).
Formerly known as "heritage" :)

Homeschool mom of 4 little ones - 9, 8, 6, & 4!

Our Four Ring Farmstead journey will be on hold for a few years as we take on a new adventure in WV! Maybe a new focus on gardening in a cooler climate...

BunnyBucks: 12,964.00

Post Number:#55  Unread postby Susie570 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:45 pm

Thanks from me too! I had no idea what heat distress looked like.
Great info!
Interested in running a forum for Lop rabbits? Ask me.

1 year of membership
BunnyBucks: 106.00

Post Number:#56  Unread postby PinkPenguin » Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:26 pm

We have been considering a misting system to go with the auto-water system we've picked out. Does this sound like a reasonable effort? It would run along the cages on the inside (Where they would be able to lay for maximum shade, to avoid sunburn), with the non-metal tubing blocked off from chewing mouths by a wire screen. We've always been told not to get them wet but this summer I noticed they were practically soaking themselves on the frozen jugs and seemed just fine. We travel and it's hard for us to know if they are getting enough ice from the bunny sitter on the scorching days.

-- Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:26 pm --

imajpm wrote:He is a nice young man, interested in learning, and I've pointed him to various resources including this forum :)

We've all been him at some point :) Without others to pass along the information the rabbit world would be doomed! Rabbit lovers are by far the friendliest and most helpful bunch I've ever dealt with.
When we had horses, if you had a problem and asked someone for advice the answer was usually something along the lines of "Loose the competition or figure it out for yourself".

BunnyBucks: 6,247.00

Post Number:#57  Unread postby macksmom98 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:55 pm

This is great info. I live in South TX close to the Gulf of Mexico, and we alway get quite a few summer days that are really hot. It's not feasable for me to keep my bunnies in A/C, so we do as much as we can and watch them closley. Thank goodness I have never seen them look like this, but now I know what to watch for! Thanks for sharing:)

Post Number:#58  Unread postby MamaSheepdog » Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:58 am

PinkPenguin wrote:We've always been told not to get them wet

If they are show rabbits, you might ruin the texture of the coat (especially in the case of Rex- their fur crimps when they get wet), and in the case of hard water they will get a mineral buildup on the fur from constant exposure to the misters.

I have a misting system in my rabbit barn, but it is run along the rafters. I think it is more effective to cool the air in the area. I haven't run it at all this year though. A few times when it was very hot I hosed down the dirt in the barn which cools it very well.

PinkPenguin wrote:ith the non-metal tubing blocked off from chewing mouths by a wire screen.

I would use 1/4" hardware cloth. Screen is not going to stand up to determined chewing.
Victory Garden Rabbits

1 year of membership
BunnyBucks: 43.00

Post Number:#59  Unread postby Courta19 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:40 pm

Thank you for sharing these photos, I'll be on the look out!

Previous