Register

!!MICE!!

Keeping your rabbits safe from predatory animals, pests, and people.
Site Supporter
3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 30,715.00

Re: !!MICE!!

Post Number:#16  Unread postby Zass » Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:06 pm

I'm sorry you lost your litter! :(
Is Tartar the mother of the chewed litter? Stress from predatory attacks could be behind the behavior.
For future litters, you may want to bring the nestboxes inside and just return them for feeding during their first week. That would keep them safe from mice and stressed does.

I believe Dayna does that, because her kits were repeatedly attacked by a small species of rat that was almost impossible to keep out of the cages.

2 years of membership2 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 5,176.00

Post Number:#17  Unread postby wamplercathy » Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:32 pm

Zass wrote:I'm sorry you lost your litter! :(
Is Tartar the mother of the chewed litter? Stress from predatory attacks could be behind the behavior.
For future litters, you may want to bring the nestboxes inside and just return them for feeding during their first week. That would keep them safe from mice and stressed does.

I believe Dayna does that, because her kits were repeatedly attacked by a small species of rat that was almost impossible to keep out of the cages.

Tartar is in the 1st cage and Rosa is in the last. It's slightly darker over by Rosa, she's the one who lost 4 kits to rodents. Hence why I've been bringing in her box since the attack. Tartar is just a stupid doe. This was her second litter. Her 1st was born in the box BUT she removed everything from it and laid down a tiny amount of fur for a nest. It was warm and I caught it before any real damage could be done. This time she left everything in the box, added a bunch of fur (I've been saving dryer lint just in case), and was feeding her kits well. For what ever reason the rodents haven't messed with the first 2 cages. Just poor Rosa. :cry:

Should i do anything before re-breeding her? Was planning on doing that tomorrow.

Site Supporter
Female
BunnyBucks: 4,613.00

Post Number:#18  Unread postby Rainey » Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:36 am

wamplercathy wrote:
Should i do anything before re-breeding her? Was planning on doing that tomorrow.

Late last winter when we started breeding the does we'd kept from the previous season, the one I had thought was "best" lost her entire first litter and only 4 of the second litter of 11 survived to grow out. I'm so glad we just stopped trying with her. The other 2 does we'd kept are good mothers and it was just so discouraging to lose so many kits in the first couple weeks after kindling. Everyone has different tolerance level for spraying bucks or small litters or poor mothering, but you might want to just ask the question of whether you want to breed her again. And if you do, I second the advice about taking out her nest box between feedings.

United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 5,176.00

Post Number:#19  Unread postby wamplercathy » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:05 pm

That's a given. But in this case I plan to give her a couple more tries. I'm new to this so I don't want to baseball it just yet. Thanks though.

Well, I was making breakfast and a mouse ran between my feet. :evil: followed closely by my 65lb boxer. :evil: Then she crashed in to the cabinets. I know the mouse was laughing it's tail off. So DH reset all the traps. :twisted: When is winter going to be over. :cry: :lol:

-- Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:05 pm --

Caught this little bugger today. Just thought I'd share our victory. :P :lol: :lol: :lol:

008 (500x375).jpg
008 (500x375).jpg (104.62 KiB) Viewed 112 times

009 (500x375).jpg
009 (500x375).jpg (106.66 KiB) Viewed 112 times

One down countless to go. :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol:

1 year of membership
BunnyBucks: 43.00

Post Number:#20  Unread postby Courta19 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:38 pm

I'm thinking more of a rat. Mice are devious little creatures, you're not wrong, but they seem to lean more towards messing with the rabbit feed rather than harming the rabbits. Rats, on the other hand, are actually quite vicious and will absolutely go after your babes. Most likely a rat problem, though I do not know how to combat that as I have never had this issue. Best of luck!

Previous